Funds released

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So I've finally worn down Mrs Benb by months of badgering, and I am allowed to get a new bike!

Was thinking of the Giant Defy Advanced 1. The 2018 model looks really good value, at £1,478

What say you all?

Defy-Advanced-1-CDB_Color-A_Carbon_RT.jpg

fted33

JDI. Nice bike and good value by the looks of it.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Bit concerned the website says only a few left and I'd ideally want to test ride it. My nearest Giant stockist only has 2019, so was going to test ride one of those on the basis the geometry is almost identical.

But then I noticed the website says 30 day test ride period, so I think I might as well just buy it and send it back if i don't like it for any reason.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Nice bike. I am 5'11" and the M/L Giants suit me. Riding a TCR Advanced 3 and I love it. Would like disc brakes one day, so your bike looks about perfect.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
So I've finally worn down Mrs Benb by months of badgering, and I am allowed to get a new bike!

Was thinking of the Giant Defy Advanced 1. The 2018 model looks really good value, at £1,478

What say you all?

View attachment 431851

I did seriously consider that bike but couldn't get my head around the hybrid Giant Conduct brakes with the strange stem set-up.

mustang1

Guru
Nice frame and colour, overall good bike. I've started liking Defys (not Defies) more lately after test riding one a while back. Does the model you're looking at have Giant Conduct brakes? Have quick review on how to service those.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hmm, yes it is the Giant brakes, I hadn't noticed that.
I hadn't noticed that when I was looking at it.
Reviews seem quite positive though.
My options are:

1. At some point in the future upgrade to Ultegra shifters and brakes. That will probably add £300.
2. Get the Cube Attain instead for only £220 more, with full Ultegra. Looks nice.

177400_light_zoom.jpg

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Yeah, I'll try and find somewhere local that will let me have a test ride.
Any other potentials I should look at?

Cheers

Top Bottom