Funds released

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, and full hydraulic ones at that.

Shame, I really like the look of the Defy, but I don't think I'll be satisfied with the cable-hydraulic bodge they've gone for.
Must be other options, see what Sigma or Pearsons have got

Or Cyclesurgery?

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/orbea-avant-m20-team-d-2018-Q2214171.html?colour=3624
https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/cube-attain-gtc-race-disc-2018-Q2214217.html?colour=3399
https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/cann...n-disc-ultegra-2018-Q2315172.html?colour=3610

Last edited:
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Must admit, reviews of the Giant Conduct brakes are mostly positive, and that giant is a very nice looking bike.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Really leaning towards the Cube now, and I've found it for £1599.
177400_light.jpg

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
My thoughts would be that they'll both be great. However I just cannot accept cable pull disc brakes. For me it has to be full hydraulic. Ascetically speaking i just don't like the dropped seat stay. As i see it it is done to simply align with the angle of the down tube.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Better still Freeborn aren’t too far away in Horsham. Easy train down, ride back ;)

Yep. I'll get down for a test ride before I decide.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Must admit, reviews of the Giant Conduct brakes are mostly positive, and that giant is a very nice looking bike.

I struggled to find any details online that explained how to service them properly. Also what about spares? At least with Shimano you can find most small parts from eg SJS Cycles.

When I enquired about the Conduct brakes I was told that they were superior to Shimanos full hydro's. My response asking why, if this was the case, they were not fitted to the same model bikes further up the range went unreplied. Read into that what you will.

The other benefit given was that the shifter units were standard pre-hydro Shimano and they were much better looking than eg the chubby BR505's from Shimano (which I like and they suit my hands perfectly) but I understand that this has now been rectified with the latest more compact shifter units that Shimano have brought out.

I would go for the Cube.

However own brand stuff is rapidly improving these days - its no longer re badged junk, I wouldn't let that be the deal breaker IMO. Be wary of the sizing on cube - Evans sizing had me on a 560 top tube - (normally 535)

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I would go for the Cube.

However own brand stuff is rapidly improving these days - its no longer re badged junk, I wouldn't let that be the deal breaker IMO. Be wary of the sizing on cube - Evans sizing had me on a 560 top tube - (normally 535)

I'll definitely get a test ride before I commit.

Think the Cube looks really nice.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So the 2018 model is out of stock everywhere.
Freeborn have offered be a decent deal on the 2019 model.
A great spec at a good price, but I don't like the colour scheme anywhere near as much as the 2018. it's a bit dull.

277300_light_zoom.jpg

Top Bottom