Funniest newspaper headlines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
SUPER CALLY GO BALLISTIC, CELTIC ARE ATROCIOUS

Back page headline some years ago (The Sun)

Vidor06

Long term loafer
My fav is from Scotland a few years ago when Celtic were beaten by Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the cup and the headline was

Super Cali go Ballistic Celtic are Attrocious

So simple but so good.

Ste T.

Guru
Whats the odds on that?Greenwich and Belfast, miles apart, great minds thinking alike.
Quite short odds actually , I was thinking of it too, but I am a one finger typest dammit!

Scotmitchy

My fav is from Scotland a few years ago when Celtic were beaten by Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the cup and the headline was

Super Cali go Ballistic Celtic are Attrocious

So simple but so good.

Was going to post that one.

I've tried to dream up a few crackers in my time, but often have vetoed them on the grounds of taste - one my ed refused to use in our local paper appeared the next day in the Sun when they picked up the story.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Variety's headlines are worthy of 'Teef 'n' Rich

Sticks nix hicks pix' - apparently cinemagoers in rural areas weren't keen on films about films set in rural areas

My favourite of all time appeared in the Bucks Free Press in the late 80s

'Tring prepares for Nuclear War'.

Berkhamsted had better watch out....

darth vadar

Über Member
My local paper ran a story about domestic violence under the heading of:

"WOMAN PUNCHED IN LOVE TRIANGLE"

Well, it made me chuckle!!

A sub-headline from The Times (or Daily Express) in 1955, that was split to fit in the columns:

Sir Vivian
Fuchs off to
Antarctica
Funny, that. I would have been around 5 at the time, but I distinctly remember seeing newspaper accounts (it would have been an 'exciting' story for a small child like me). My parents were meticulous in explaining that the name was pronounced 'foochs' ('oo' as in 'foot', 'ch' as in 'loch'). At the time I was innocent of any innuendo, of course... :rolleyes:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Reporting a failed attempt to assassinate Paul McCartney:

"Top Mop Top Pot Shot Plot Flops"

That's a reasonably mild tongue twister surely??

Anyway, my favourite is the well known 'Man survives fatal accident'.

Also, I know this isn't funny at all, but I have always had a strange image in my head when I see headlines like'Mum fights for life'.
What I see in my head is something along the lines of a Mum in a boxing or wrestling ring fighting for someone called Life.

Yes yes, I know I'm strange.

rustychisel

is it apocryphal?? We were always told this one was true. Western Desert 1942, Montogomery's great offensive after El Alamein, the Times headlines read "EIGHTH ARMY PUSH BOTTLES UP GERMANS"

During the 1980s Charles Haughey then Taoiseach was alleged to have been having an affair, and the woman's husband found out and clocked him leaving him with quite a bit of facial bruising. The story put out at the time was that he'd injured himself in a fall from a horse. The Irish Independent lead the following day with "Haughey hurt in riding incident".

Top Bottom