FYI: mixing COVID Vaccine boosters is okay: CDC & FDA confirm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
The Washington Post reports that both the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) have cleared COVID vaccine boosters to be mixed or matched.

The (U.S.) nation’s top public health official has given the green light to “mix-and-match” booster shots to increase antibodies to fight the coronavirus.

Article here

My wife and I had our first 2 vaccine jabs for Moderna, and now we can walk in for Pfizer boosters, so we're going to do so this week.

Stay safe, get your boosters when it's time and they're available. :okay:

classic33

Leg End Member
The Washington Post reports that both the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) have cleared COVID vaccine boosters to be mixed or matched.

The (U.S.) nation’s top public health official has given the green light to “mix-and-match” booster shots to increase antibodies to fight the coronavirus.

Article here

My wife and I had our first 2 vaccine jabs for Moderna, and now we can walk in for Pfizer boosters, so we're going to do so this week.

Stay safe, get your boosters when it's time and they're available. :okay:
Over here Pfizer and Modena are the only two used/cleared for the third jab.

There have been 'interim statements' by the WHO in August and this month on the use of C-19 booster vaccines; it is not in the least bit of a 'new thing', as some anti-vaxxers and vaxx-sceptics appear to think. Boosters are very commonly required for a great many routine, 'traditional' vaccinations, sometimes on a set schedule and sometimes, after an appropriate course, only when a specific 'threat' arises.

The MHRA here gave approval for Comirnaty and A-Z as boosters back in September. However, the results of the CovBoost trial run by Southampton University have been taken on board by the JCVI and they are currently only recommending Comirnaty/Pfizer or a half-dose of Spikevax/Moderna be used as boosters. The other vaccines tested in the CovBoost study - AZ, Novavax, Valneva, Janssen and Curevac - were not recommended at this stage for use in the booster programme - largely because there is a much greater, and clearer, quantity of data for those two mRNA vaccines. Comirnaty, in particular, seems to be extremely well-tolerated as a booster.

Note that the third dose in a 3-dose primary course, which is being offered to some people who are immune-compromised etc, is NOT the same thing as a booster.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I pinched this from the NHS Web Site:-

Which COVID-19 vaccine will I get?
Most people will be offered a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine or Moderna vaccine.

This means your booster dose may be different from the vaccines you had for your 1st and 2nd doses.

Some people may be offered a booster dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine if they cannot have the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I pinched this from the NHS Web Site:-

Which COVID-19 vaccine will I get?
Most people will be offered a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine or Moderna vaccine.

This means your booster dose may be different from the vaccines you had for your 1st and 2nd doses.

Some people may be offered a booster dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine if they cannot have the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine.
I believe that A-Z is approved for use but the Pfizer booster gives better protection for the many who have had 2 AZ jabs already.

Slick

Guru
No links or anything, but I thought I already read that it was better to recieve a booster different from your original.

Did I just make that up or was it a thing for a while and now changed?

Tenkaykev

Guru
No links or anything, but I thought I already read that it was better to recieve a booster different from your original.

Yes, early indication is that mix and match might be more effective

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

I believe that was the growing consensus in the UK, but the US has its own regulatory bodies.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Info for AZ booster study participants. AZD1222 is the original AZ vaccine now approved for use as a booster, AZD2816 is the booster against the beta variant, currently being trialled.

Buck

Guru
Booster vaccine is either of the mRNA vaccines* i.e. Pfizer or Moderna regardless of dose 1 and/or 2.
*unless contra-indicated then it can be the AZ vaccine.

In the next few weeks there will be more Moderna coming into the vaccine centres rather than Pfizer and unless this is a 3rd primary dose (immune suppressed) it will be a half dose (2.5ml)

some patients who had AZ for their first dose and have hesitated on their second dose will potentially be getting a different second dose as AZ is not as available at present.

OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Okay, so based on what I had read, that mix and match boosters has not just been approved by our leading health organizations here in the States, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) but it is said that might even give us better protection.

So... I went to the Pharmacy inside Giant Food, one of our grocery stores that has a pharmacy, and where I got my first 2 jabs (Moderna) and asked to sign up for my booster this afternoon. (I'm 65, Mrs. Kayaker has to wait until her group is cleared) and I asked for the Pfizer booster please. I was told that having had the (2) Moderna jabs, I could only get the Moderna booster. I said (hopefully not snarkily) that I did not understand why, as the CDA and FDA had approved mix and match, and was told that yes, that is true, but Giant Food has their own policies as well. Who KNOWS who decides that! But I'm not picky. I had originally wanted the Moderna booster anyway.

So, there you have an update from this side of the pond. But at least I can get a booster this afternoon. My 2nd Moderna jab was just shy of 7 months ago, so I'm happy to get ANY booster. :okay: Stay safe, everyone. Get that booster jab (whichever) when you can!

Top Bottom