G20 Protests - London Road Closures?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theboytaylor

Don't know if there are protests going on in other cities....but

Has anyone heard whether there will be any road closures, etc, in the City next week?

I work right next to Cannon St station which is one of the protesters' gthering points and there are notices attached to the cycle stands saying they will be suspended on 1st and 2nd April and any bikes chained to them the night before will be removed.

Also, has anyone any experience of dealing with this type of disruption? I'm tempted to bike in regardless as my trains go into Cannon St anyway, which will probably get closed. Also, hopefully there will be virtually no other traffic, but I don't want to be stuck somewhere with a lot of people about and having to get my bike through as well.

Any views/comments?

CotterPin

I cycle down through Moorgate and past the Bank to London Bridge so right through the heart of it all. I am not going let protestors or police modify my plans one iota.

skwerl

The 1st April protests start at 11am because the lazy gits clearly aren't bothered enough to get up early and cause disruption. The 2nd April protest is out at Excel, Docklands.

We've been told the following by security:
Don't drive as roads may be disrupted and cars may be targetted
Don't cycle as roads may be disrupted
Use bus (erm, see above re roads) or walk
Don't go outside if possible (erm, see above re walking)
Dress down, ie jeans and T-shirts, to blend in with the soap-dodging protesters
Don't carry any branded bags, briefcases, etc.
Don't use Bank or St Pauls stations

So the protesters have already caused disruption.

I'm ignoring all of the above and will be cycling. I get to work well before that lot will be out on the streets. I'm personally hoping for a re-run of J18 1999

thomas

the tank engine
CotterPin said:
I cycle down through Moorgate and past the Bank to London Bridge so right through the heart of it all. I am not going let protestors or police modify my plans one iota.

Just carry your D Lock :wacko:

D-Rider

In the pub last night, my pal was entertaining me with an incident during the May Day protests a few years back when he worked in the city. Security at his work had him up against a wall and were huckling him out the building before he managed to convince them he worked there... seems he was a little bit too successful at dressing down.

OP
OP
theboytaylor

theboytaylor

The real bummer is that I'm sure a lot of this press coverage is going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. There's been a week of it being hyped up in all the London rags.

I'd like to think most people just want to protest and maybe just clog the roads up, make their point and then move on. Unfortunately there are going to be some up for a ruck and I'm sure the rozzers aren't going to be too shy either.....

Anyway, before this gets moved to P&L or the Secret Service start monitoring the forum for subversive sentiments, I guess the big advantage is that the protesters are meeting for 11 so the morning run should be OK....

Top Bottom