G8 Events MTB Winter Series, what a friendly bunch of riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well after no MTB racing for the last 3 years I had a go at round 2 of the G8 winter series at Thetford. I entered the 2 hour enduro ( Grand Veteran) I believe there were maybe a couple of hundred riders in total. 31 of them in the G vets. Everyone was so good mannered and despite me coming off 4 times in the very muddy conditions everone was so cool about it. It was good manners all round really.
Had quite a few chats with people in the parking area etc it was really good. There are another 2 at Thetford in January, so if anyone is thinking of having a go at racing this is a good non intimidating event, not very technical apart from the mud and one bomb hole which you could avoid.
WP_20151213_15_29_08_Pro.jpg
WP_20151213_15_28_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20151213_15_28_47_Pro.jpg

I managed not to disgrace myself and just got into the upper half of positions. Bike got a little muddy

No disgrace at all,falling off is part and parcel of racing and everyone has done it.I have not competed for 15 years,but I would love to have a go in the Veterans class.
The fact that you got back in the race (to coin a phrase :biggrin: ) and gave it your all ,is good enough for me :thumbsup:

OP
OP
HarryTheDog
@OskarTennisChampion , The reason I started again was we were on holiday in Glencoe last month and stumbled across a Enduro going on at Ben Nevis and we stopped, watched and chatted with the good folks there. Watching the people go round had me itching to join in again. If you would love to compete again is there a reason not to? injury?. thats what was stopping me, bad back, tennis elbow then a broken wrist in january. They are all cleared up now nearly.

@HarryTheDog .Nothing.
Nothing is stopping me,other than my own non belief that I could compete at a decent level again.And after 15 years.
When I should really be thinking "hell yeah I should be racing again just for the sheer fun of doing it".
Being in amongst it again and just enjoying the occasion.
Thanks,I will certainly be looking further into this

OP
OP
HarryTheDog
@OskarTennisChampion thats not such a unusual attitude, a few years ago I used to regularly meet a guy in his 30's on a MTB who used to keep up with me on my road bike ( until we hit a uphill of course). We used to chat, when he was younger he was Eastern region MTB XC champ for 2 or 3 years running. He refused to race again ( though he obviously wanted to) unless he was sure he would win. Luckily I have always been mediocre in racing terms so have no glorious past to live up to. Give it a bash fella, you know you want to.

fimm

Veteran
"Grand Veteran" - not come across that one before. In triathlon it is Veteran (40+), Super Veteran (50+) and Vintage(!) (60+).
Sounds like you had fun and enjoyed yourself.

Top Bottom