Galway to Dublin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking of doing this before winter, possibly mid-September and following the route from google maps, Oranmore, Loughrea, Banagher, Tullamory (Stopover) Edenderry, Maynooth, Lucan, Dublin.

Hopefully, it'll be panniers, shorts and bunkhouses in Galway, Tullamory and Dublin, which I've seen for as little as £7

Anyone know a better route or particular points of interest or decent cheap hotels?

bigjim

Legendary Member
How are you getting there?
i was looking at riding southern Ireland in September. I checked out Rynair from Manchester airport and it was about £40 return plus £100 for the bike! I then had a look at the boat from Liverpool to Dublin. No. Can't book it as a foot passenger with a bike. So I changed the search details and added my car. Would you believe, I got a day sailing including the car for £118 which also includes breakfast and evening meal. Confused or what?

classic33

Leg End Member
How are you getting there?
i was looking at riding southern Ireland in September. I checked out Rynair from Manchester airport and it was about £40 return plus £100 for the bike! I then had a look at the boat from Liverpool to Dublin. No. Can't book it as a foot passenger with a bike. So I changed the search details and added my car. Would you believe, I got a day sailing including the car for £118 which also includes breakfast and evening meal. Confused or what?
Merchant Ferries! You were allowed to book your bike on as a vehicle and go that way.

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Travelling by train to Holyhead, the ferry to Dublin. I've done that journey several times before, but without the bike. After I read your post, I checked and they do let bikes on. In my case, it's cheaper to book it with a train journey,

bigjim

Legendary Member
Merchant Ferries! You were allowed to book your bike on as a vehicle and go that way.
No. Merchant will not let me book a bike. Only seem to run from Birkenhead to Belfast on my dates anyway, but although they show a bike pic the system will not let you include it on the dropdown box. Which they say, means they won't take it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you tried ringing them up? We have used Irish Ferries and Stena to get to Ireland on bike without issue.
Irish Ferries operate Holyhead - Dublin, as do Stena. Adjoining berths on the North Wall for the cruise ferries. Stena are using the old B&I berth.
If he's planning on cycling this side as well it'll add over a 100 extra miles to his trip, over Liverpool.

At the expense of hijacking this thread a little, I am thinking of flying to Cork for a weeks touring, but am coming unstuck as to where to store my bikebox for the duration? Any advice /ideas? :huh:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The usual bike box thing is to spend the first and last nights at the same hotel, and get them to store the box for you. When I've done it (Spain), it's just gone in a corner of the garage. Requires pre-booked accommodation.

Top Bottom