"Game changer for cycling in the UK"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Guardian

The government’s intention to launch a CWIS (cycling and walking investment strategy) was first announced in January 2015. It took more than two years, but we now have the first legislation of its kind in England to bind the government with legal commitments to invest in cycling and walking provision.

The CWIS has been the result of years’ of pressure from cycling and walking groups and the concerted efforts of a small but dedicated group of civil servants. Its publication is a cause for both celebration and relief, as there were concerns that the forthcoming election could have delayed it further, or even halted it altogether.

CWIS is a gamechanger as it has committed to long-term funding for the first time. The CWIS promises up to £1.2bn will be spent on cycling and walking by 2020/21.

One day.......

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think the government being pro-cycling is genuinely "a good thing" as given the way politics are these days it would be very easy to bring in a host of Daily-Mail pleasing nonsense to pander to the "lycra lout" bile and violence encouraged by said paper.

On the other hand I rather fear that nearly all the money spent on infrastructure will be wasted; worse, will make cycling more dangerous and less convenient - painted lanes in door zones, encouraging "get off the road" punishment passes and other agression and all the rest.

Amsterdam seems to have the solution. Cars, bikes, scooters all seem to run around like madmen, but, on the face of it, it works!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Oh well, if the government is now legally bound to do it there can surely be no way out, and I shall surely vote for them again in the 2020 election

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
We need more gold paved roads...

Well it is our tax that pays for it.

Blimey those bites came quick, hadn't even got the landing net set up. :tongue:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Did anybody actually read the article? It's £315m from central govt, the rest from local authorities and local enterprise partnerships, and it doesn't include London as they have their own fancypants devolved transport funding system.

OP
OP
MikeG

MikeG

Guru
Oh well, if the government is now legally bound to do it there can surely be no way out, and I shall surely vote for them again in the 2020 election

Hmmm. 2020 you say. They may just get the one single solitary lonesome vote then, which will be one more than they're expecting.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Did anybody actually read the article? It's £315m from central govt, the rest from local authorities and local enterprise partnerships, and it doesn't include London as they have their own fancypants devolved transport funding system.
That and at £26/head over four years it's about 65% of the minimum spend that LCC/CTC/everyone has been asking for, and we're supposed to be impressed? Not buying it

sgl5gjr

hmm..... putting the £1.2 billion into context..... they are spending £1.5 billion on the A14 bypass from Brampton Hut to Trinity Foot..... so not really enough £'s for proper cycling infrastructure.... papering over the cracks... tick box exercise.... If only there was an agreed standard for any Cycling Infrastructure so we don't get anymore of the appalling examples which have been previously constructed

Moodyman

Legendary Member
and most of the £1.2bn will no doubt be spent in London.

If the Leeds-Bradford cycling 'superhighway' is an example of how the money will be spent, they can keep the investment in London. It cost £29m and caused months of disruption and is a bag of shight.

I've changed my route into and out of work to avoid it. The superhighway is covered in broken glass, houses parked cars and if you ride on the road you risk the ire of motorists.

Top Bottom