Game: Name that road!

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by ColinJ, 10 Dec 2017.

1. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

(Inspired by a thread over on OutdoorsChat to name views from/of mountains)

The object of the game is to identify where a photograph was taken. It should be taken on a bike ride which you did on a public road in the UK. It would be nice if it featured you and/or your riding companion(s) and/or your bike(s) but don't worry about that if you just took a snap of the scenery, interesting building, bridge, whatever. (It's not that I don't like seeing photos from round the world but we really don't stand much chance of identifying (for example) a dirt road to a small temple in Vietnam!)

I prefer country roads but if it is your turn to post the photo then you can decide for yourself whether to feature a backstreet in Cardiff (whatever/wherever)!

The named winner of the current round should go on to post a picture of him/her or by him/her taken on a bike ride somewhere in the UK. There should be something in the picture which would allow the location to be identified. Try and choose something not too obvious but not too obscure either (we do want to be able to identify the location without too many clues!).

Choose a nice view with an interesting bridge/church/statue/landscape/(whatever) feature.

PS Rename your photo before uploading if its filename identifies the location!

I'll go first and will select the winner once the scene has been identified ...

Where was this photo taken?

Where was this taken.jpg

Last edited: 30 Dec 2017
  2. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

Scotland?

mustang1 and Cuchilo like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

Yes, but try to identify the road itself and not just the country - ha ha!

No more clues until tomorrow afternoon to see if anybody can work it out without any further help ... :okay:

Last edited: 10 Dec 2017
  4. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

Loch Marie and that is Slioch hiding under the clouds.

or may be Loch Linnhe and that is the Ben under the cloud

ColinJ likes this.
  5. Eddy

Eddy Guru

Loch Lomond, Ben Lomond in the distance

Reiver likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

@Reiver has it with the second guess! It was taken on the A681 on the west side of Loch Linnhe looking NE towards Fort William and yes, that is Ben Nevis up in the clouds.

Over to you, Reiver!

raleighnut and Eddy like this.
  7. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

@ColinJ - not sure if I will be here much Monday so could someone else take a go - sorry colin, I may be shouldn't have entered

8. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

No problem!

@Eddy, even though you were wrong, it was a decent guess - do you fancy going next?

9. Eddy

Eddy Guru

10. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

If nobody else volunteers by the time I reappear later today, I'll post another one! :okay:

11. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

OK, but at least I made a correct starter for 10. Not a clue otherwise

ColinJ likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

Ok, here is another picture, taken on one of my forum rides ...

Rusty catches up.jpg
    Where were we? (If you want to narrow it down, guess the area first. You shouldn't need much help to work THAT out!)

Illaveago, grecinos and Eddy like this.
  13. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

Yorkshire Dales!
    I'd have to put some serious time in with a map to narrow it down much further.

14. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

Indeed, it IS somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales!

If you don't know that dale then checking out maps and Street view will help you find it.

There are other ways, but they would be considered cheating! :whistle:

Last edited: 11 Dec 2017
    Spinney likes this.
  15. Sea of vapours

Sea of vapours Über Member

I shall refrain from answering this one unless you say so Colin ;-) (?) Were I to, I would tend to consider myself to be cheating.

ColinJ likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice