Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
So, what do we have?

A lake.

A low wall, and maybe yew trees? Perhaps a church, cemetery or stately home???

Sun behind, so probably going Northish.

Bypassed within last few decades.

Not much to go on tbh.
He used to live in Kingsclere, close to Newbury... and its famous/controversial bypass. Still haven't found it though.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
He used to live in Kingsclere, close to Newbury... and its famous/controversial bypass. Still haven't found it though.
This is true, but there's nothing remotely like the picture around there.

The locality, but not the actual road, has featured in a televised cycle race this year.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I thought I'd given it away completely with the televised cycle race and fair banks clues, but it seems not. It needs putting out of its misery.

The body of water doesn't have the word "lake" in it's name, and the day I rode past it was, I think, the only time I've ever started and finished a 100-miler on different islands.

Willd

Veteran
Well it's not Alaska, Douglas or Loch Fyne and the only televised bit of cycling I caught was in Bradford, as far as I remember :whistle:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Pretty sure this is it, carlingwalk loch Castle Douglas -crit series
but I'm worried your cyclist has fallen into the lake?
1634036229055.png

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9...QuWg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!9m2!1b1!2i37?hl=en-GB

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Pretty sure this is it, carlingwalk loch Castle Douglas -crit series
Indeed it is, and I relieved to have it solved. When I passed the spot it was still the main A75, which at the time I didn't think twice about riding on all the way to Stranraer.
but I'm worried your cyclist has fallen into the lake?
Ah yes. There was a reason for putting this piece of information in the first post:
This streetview image was grabbed a couple of months ago:

Over to you @T4tomo :smile:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ah yes. There was a reason for putting this piece of information in the first post:
where the fark has he gone though?

I found this chap with his dogs a few paces back? but thought it couldnt be right as no cyclist. Can you request yourself to be edited out of street view? Maybe he was up to no good...

1634041806797.png

I'd scanned a lot of the men Tour of Britain stages and ruled out the womens tour as it started around the time of the first post. Then I suddenly remembered Castle Douglas, Sunderland and Guisborough crits were on TV.... when Willd posted earlier today. It looked too pretty for Sunderland and I know Guisborough pretty well as my sister lives there...

I thought I'd given it away completely with the televised cycle race and fair banks clues, but it seems not. It needs putting out of its misery.

The body of water doesn't have the word "lake" in it's name, and the day I rode past it was, I think, the only time I've ever started and finished a 100-miler on different islands.
BTW @Aravis what was fair banks all about and which island was it? Arran and Island of Ireland?

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1634044086416.png

there are some visual clues, will be back with hints or comments on attempts to narrow it down if you are struggling .....

Aravis

Putrid Donut
where the fark has he gone though?
Sorry, I didn't quite spell it out because I thought it was obvious: the streetview images have been updated.

I'd grabbed the image as one I might possibly use in the future, so I decided to run with it, thereby adding an extra level of puzzlement. It sort of worked. :unsure:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sorry, I didn't quite spell it out because I thought it was obvious: the streetview images have been updated.

I'd grabbed the image as one I might possibly use in the future, so I decided to run with it, thereby adding an extra level of puzzlement. It sort of worked. :unsure:
They normally keep an online history though, don't they. So you'd expect to be able to find them by skimming back in time. But you can't.
1634045298242.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member
1634045201700.png

that's what confused me though as it says Apr 21 and the older ones you can back scroll on have no cyclist in them either, its not like the google car has been down again (the daffies are in both images), he has been edited out.

BTW @Aravis what was fair banks all about and which island was it? Arran and Island of Ireland?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Crikey, I've been in bed for a few hours with a headache, and I wake up this? :surrender:

The two islands were Great Britain and Ireland (Dumfries to Downpatrick on the day). I was trying to be helpful. :wacko:

(Douglas) Fairbanks you already have. :okay:

I had no idea you could switch between historical versions on Streetview. Yet more stuff to play with. I saw the Apr 21 date on the current version, noticed that the light was different and jumped to a conclusion. It looks to be as though they've replaced the Apr 21 images with another sequence perhaps from the same day.

I've just been to look at the stretch of road where I made an appearance (Sept 2020) and I'm sad to report that I've gone too. :cry: It's a bit odd because when Streetview was first updated from that month I wasn't there, then I was, now I've gone again. It makes sense that they would end up with multiple passes of many roads, and I suppose some people might complain about being picture, but in this case it certainly wasn't me! D'you think they'd put me back if I ask nicely?

Edit: the last paragraph is rubbish. I am there; I must have been looking in the wrong place when the images first appeared.

Last edited:

OldShep

Über Member
Indeed it is, and I relieved to have it solved. When I passed the spot it was still the main A75, which at the time I didn't think twice about riding on all the way to Stranraer.

Over to you @T4tomo :smile:
Point of order You said it was a lake which threw me off the scent. I thought it looked like Carlingwark Loch
I stand corrected it was @ roubaix who said lake Doh!

Last edited:
Top Bottom