Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Has the look of the Chilterns about it

Aravis

Putrid Donut
That is Kingston Hill, rising from Kingston Blount, near Chinnor:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...4!1sH3L8IJs0qmE3bv4oOcJyjQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I don't know it, but it was quite easy to find with the strong hint that it's in the Chilterns. It looks like the main escarpment so it was just a case of scanning along the OS map until the road with the right orientation and the wooded hillside appeared.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

View attachment 620222

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...4!1sH3L8IJs0qmE3bv4oOcJyjQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I don't know it, but it was quite easy to find with the strong hint that it's in the Chilterns. It looks like the main escarpment so it was just a case of scanning along the OS map until the road with the right orientation and the wooded hillside appeared.

Ha I was about a mile away in my search.

robjh

Legendary Member

View attachment 620222

Well done. It was quite a sharp climb once you get into those trees as I remember.
Over to you.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks @robjh.

I'm about to embark on a heavy session of wallpapering, so I may not visit the keyboard much in the next few hours. This next one shouldn't present too many problems although finding the exact spot may not be so easy. Once it's been found please feel free to go on to the next without waiting for me - if you're sure that is.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Hard to be precise but based on the fence and bit of dry stone wall I'd put this as around here on Honister Pass looking down into Borrowdale.

B5289 - Google Maps

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yes, that's it @Ming the Merciless. My dad would have been standing just a little further up than the camera in your picture, so the bit of road in your foreground is just visible behind the Triumph in the 1969 picture. My dad's camera was a bit closer to the road of course.

Over to you again. Wallpapering's going quite well. The main thing is that I've started.

Edit: the small humps to the left of the road provide a stable point of reference across the years.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yes, that's it @Ming the Merciless. My dad would have been standing just a little further up than the camera in your picture, so the bit of road in your foreground is just visible behind the Triumph in the 1969 picture. My dad's camera was a bit closer to the road of course.

Over to you again. Wallpapering's going quite well. The main thing is that I've started.

Edit: the small humps to the left of the road provide a stable point of reference across the years.

The paths on the right give a solid reference across the years as well.

Top Bottom