Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm no geologist, so this might be rubbish but ... the high ground to the top right reminds me of the North Downs which are sometimes quarried leaving exposed chalk cliffs. So another one in a chalky area?
Probably significant that we seem to be looking at an isolated(?) area of upland as we can see both L and R-hand edges, whereas with the N or S Downs or Chilterns we would expect to see a longer ridge along the horizon.
Can't be sure of the time of day, but I would think we are facing E or NE towards the upland in the picture.

I still don't know where it is.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Probably significant that we seem to be looking at an isolated(?) area of upland as we can see both L and R-hand edges, whereas with the N or S Downs or Chilterns we would expect to see a longer ridge along the horizon.
Can't be sure of the time of day, but I would think we are facing E or NE towards the upland in the picture.

No and no/inaccurate.

Alex321

Veteran
Nope, still inaccurate. Was a morning ride! So look at shadows again to work out direction of view.

Oops. I thought the first shadow was from the tree on the left, but it isn't, it is from the tree on the right.

That should mean Rob was right and we are looking between NE & E, since the morning sun will be between SE( early morning) and S (late morning), and we are looking at a right angle to that.

robjh

Legendary Member
I said NE / E was inaccurate!

Interesting choice of words, inaccurate but not necessarily completely wrong. So maybe more N than NE.

As for the upland area, so not isolated but we must be seeing it end-on, unless the picture uses a super wide-angle lens (though I think not).

I have some ideas but not found anything matching yet.

lazybloke

Time to narrow it down a bit/lot:
Location clue: I live in mid-Surrey; this was a circular ride of circa 3 hours from home.​
Direction confirmation: Photo is very much looking North.​

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
This must be it - Parkpale Lane:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2...4!1stC6ixh4_813J6RSuuKXGcQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

BoxH.jpg

lazybloke

We have a winner!!!! - @Aravis, over to you.

Phew! Box Hill was the view, one of the popular cycling destinations in the county, and for a long time has been (or was) the most cycled strava segment in the world. (Its pleasant, but not that good)

So I thought Box Hill would be quickly recognised, leading to a rather small search area. How wrong I was.

Top Bottom