Game ready ice and compression system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
After injury or surgery, the standard physio mantra is RICE - Rest Ice Compression Elevation.

I had ACL reconstruction surgery 4 weeks ago and have been using a Game Ready system

- http://www.gameready.co.uk/rental.html

It is fantastic - iced water is pumped through a compression sleeve covering mid calf to mid thigh and over a 30-minute cycle it pumps the pressure up and down. The effect has been close to miraculous in terms of both pain relief (stopped all meds on day 4 post op) and swelling control (virtually none from end of week 2 post op)

It's not cheap at £300 for a month's hire, but worth every penny.

I've used ice, physio ice pads and packets of peas for injuries in the past, but the effect of all those is nothing in comparison to the Game Ready

There are compression sleeves for bits of all limbs including shoulder and the system in used by all the top sports teams worldwide and was the go to physio tool for the British team at the 2012 Olympics.

If you have an injury or operation this is well worth considering.

My physio has also been using a COMPEX electro muscle stimulation device on my quads and VMO to avoid post op atrophy - also a great piece of kit, quads, VMO and hamstring all switched back on early and are working strongly without risking the graft by putting work through the knee. Another great piece of kit to look out for if you need a sports physio.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cryocuff is an alternative icing solution, cheaper to buy and floggabble on fleabay once no longer needed

I've not experienced too much swelling or intractable pain after my numerous ortho ops, and make do with peas or an ice pack (most pain for me has been with movement, the worst was getting dressed after the tennis elbow repair, I came to hate sleeves)!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you are planning to wreck your knee, I can recommend from experience doing it in Northern Finland in the winter. There is a plentiful supply of ice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
Cryocuff is an alternative icing solution[/B], cheaper to buy and floggabble on fleabay once no longer needed

I've not experienced too much swelling or intractable pain after my numerous ortho ops, and make do with peas or an ice pack (most pain for me has been with movement, the worst was getting dressed after the tennis elbow repair, I came to hate sleeves)!!

That's a great piece of kit for icing, but the real plus for the Game ready is the cyclic compression - it works to remove inflammation products from the joint area.
For the past two weeks I've been doing 2hrs a day mobilisation and rehab in the gym plus two 45 minute mobilisation sessions at home, with 30 minute Game ready sessions between.

As I say, it's not cheap but for anyone here who races and wants to get back quickly after an injury, it is worth considering.

upload_2016-11-18_15-39-50.png

Top Bottom