Gameson RWB Race Frame 531, Nervex lugs and Agratti dropouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
As pictured on Ebay
$_58.JPG

Spent most of today sourcing the parts still needed and fitting those I already have.
Pics later.

OldCanal

Excellent purchase if I may say so. Bill Gameson frames are few and far between and this looks in fine condition with beautiful head tube lugwork. As ridden by Tommy Godwin I believe. I'd be very interested in hearing your plans for the build and the componentry you have in mind.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Excellent purchase if I may say so. Bill Gameson frames are few and far between and this looks in fine condition with beautiful head tube lugwork. As ridden by Tommy Godwin I believe. I'd be very interested in hearing your plans for the build and the componentry you have in mind.
Have managed to source a seat tube mount rod shifter "Cyclo Benelux". Would have been a Simplex originally but they have become prohibitively expensive. Likewise with simplex rear mechs but have sourced a Huret Svelto of the correct vintage and a simplex downtube lever to work it. GB bars and stem, Lyotard pedals. Universal 61 brakes and levers (They are only 3 years out:laugh:) Crankset selected is a no name double but only as a temporary measure till I sort something more appropriate out. Wheels...going 700c, the bike will be for using and I've a pair of NOS Mavic module E2 rims on Campagnolo hubs that I built up recently as spares for my Jensen. Headset Brampton Alatet and Bottom Bracket eventually will be Baylis Wiley cups and Nervar axle that I have set aside.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Rear wheel, Mavic Module E2 Argent, Maillard 5 speed 14 x 26 on Campagnolo hub
DSCF0625 (450x338).jpg

Temporary crankset and bottom bracket till I can source a more suitable one. Lyotard pedals with home made toeclips.(Old spoke and mudguard eye bolts)
DSCF0626 (450x338).jpg

Front wheel is the partner to the rear.

Attachments

• DSCF0628 (450x338).jpg
    DSCF0628 (450x338).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 79

OldCanal

Shades of deja-vu here. I had a Benelux rod shifter fitted to my first 'true' bike, an Elswick Hopper back in '56. Will post a pic when I finish my 'newbie induction' process. See my earlier post on the 'Welcome Mat' thread. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1947 'Hobbs of Barbican' and I hope to get the frame back from my 'painter' in Co.Durham some time in January (hopefully). I'll post a full 'blow by blow' then. I've picked up most of the components (most in great NOS condition) over the last 6 months - Campagnolo Gran Sport (58-62) rear mech, TA ring and adaptor on Stronglight Competition 3-arm cranks (58) chainset, GB/Dawes Concorde stem/bars, Stronglight seatpin, Campag C-Record headset, Mafac 'Racers', Mavic GP4 on Campag Record s/f, etc. Not all period correct, but near enough to be classified 'ish'. The frame had a Brompton Alatet headset with a Hobbs Lytaloy top nut fitted when I got it, but it is in really bad shape hence the Campag replacement. In the meantime I look forward to following your build. Thanks.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
DSCF0632 (450x338).jpg

Bars wrapped with Newbaums cotton cloth bartape.
DSCF0630 (450x338).jpg

Period correct 531 decal from H Lloyds
DSCF0631 (450x338).jpg

Nervex decal (copy of an original)

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Is the frame the original colour. ?
Hi WD, No it was black originally with lugs picked out with white lining. The original purchase order came with the frame. Commisioned October 6th 1957 and supplied on November 7th 1957. As to the colour, the current finish is in reasonable condition but should it ever need re enamelled I'd not hesitate to go for originality.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Well that is as far as it goes till the other parts start to trickle in through the post next week. Still need to contact Nick at H Lloyds for a decal set and will have to watch Ebay for a decent crankset. Will be a fair weather bike out of respect for its age and rarity so no real hurry.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Take nothing for granted on Ebay guys. The Gameson was listed as 1957 and I accepted that, however it came with the Original Gameson Cycles Order form and on closer inspection I find that the frame is the same age as myself 1951. Presume seller had misread the document.
Rear shift lever arrived today, Simplex New old stock
DSCF0638 (450x338).jpg

Top Bottom