Gameson RWB Race Frame 531, Nervex lugs and Agratti dropouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldCanal

This arrived in the post this morning. Should carry @OldCanal down memory lane:thumbsup:
View attachment 35271
Also when up in the attic the other day brought down a box that I'd completely forgotten about containing a 165mm Stronglight 49D crankset.
View attachment 35272
It certainly does! Before my beloved 'Soens' I had an Elswick Hopper fitted with the trusty old Benelux front 'clanger'. Strangely enough, I got on well with it, although many didn't. However, the change to h/bar controlled Campag Gran Sport stuff was sheer bliss. The 49D chainset looks in fantastic condition and I'm on the lookout for similar for my current 'Hobbs' build. The Huret also looks in great condition as well and if you don't mind the hybrid look, would be my choice. Look forward to the finished article shortly.

Here's the GS rear mech I'll be using. Kevin Winter is doing the paint on my frame and hopes to complete in about 3-4 weeks. He's had it since mid-Oct and the wait is starting to get painful now.
Edit - tried to upload pic which was kicked out as being too 'big' for the server (or whatever) to handle. Sorry, as I don't know how to compress pics to a 'manageable' size. Help, somebody??

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Just caught up with this build, looks superb. Keep the pictures coming!

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Realised that there was potential here for a very lightweight bicycle and have had a pair of new old stock Medalle D'Or sprint rims and a pair of new old stock Normandy large flange hubs that was saving for something special so built them up whilst waiting for mechs to arrive and got tubs fitted. Also fitted a lightweight saddle. Bike got it's first run out today. Just ten miles but what a joy to ride.
DSCF0650 (450x338).jpg

DSCF0651 (450x338).jpg

Chose the Benelux mech, it's so long since I rode one that the trip down memory lane was too great a draw:laugh:
DSCF0649 (450x338).jpg

There is every chance from first ride impressions that this will become my favourite fair weather ride.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Realised that there was potential here for a very lightweight bicycle and have had a pair of new old stock Medalle D'Or sprint rims and a pair of new old stock Normandy large flange hubs that was saving for something special so built them up whilst waiting for mechs to arrive and got tubs fitted. Also fitted a lightweight saddle. Bike got it's first run out today. Just ten miles but what a joy to ride.
View attachment 35660
View attachment 35661
Chose the Benelux mech, it's so long since I rode one that the trip down memory lane was too great a draw:laugh: View attachment 35663
There is every chance from first ride impressions that this will become my favourite fair weather ride.
Excellent as always rbreid. Another success. Beautiful looking bike.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Thankyou WD. Consider myself fortunate to be in a position to indulge myself in my passion for quality vintage bicycles. What will be next.....mmmmmm.........Rotrax maybe............N+1 is a wonderful concept:thumbsup::laugh:

Im very green here. Not just because it is the colour of my avatar, but with envy as well.

OldCanal

Thankyou WD. Consider myself fortunate to be in a position to indulge myself in my passion for quality vintage bicycles. What will be next.....mmmmmm.........Rotrax maybe............N+1 is a wonderful concept:thumbsup::laugh:
Congrats on the finished build, any chance of a full pic? You've probably seen this but if not, it contains a couple of graphics that Nick could probably use for a bespoke decal job as originals aren't in his current stock list. http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/gameson-builder.html Please forgive if I'm "teaching grandma to suck eggs"!!

Is that an 'Alan' alu frame in the background behind the Gameson in the first pic? If so, could that be a candidate for an early 70s build? If not, a nice Rotrax would be just the job. Btw, just love the 49D. Rule ?, N+1 is the holy grail.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Here you go @OldCanal
DSCF0648 (450x338).jpg

Weight as is currently 19lb 7oz.
That first pic with the Alan in the background was the Ebay listing picture, only the Gameson was on sale though. Will speak with Nick at Lloyds later today re Decals. Be surprised if he doesn't have the pattern on record at least. I do however have access to quality pics of an original owned by a friend of a friend if required. That classiclightweights site is an excellent research tool, not only for what it contains but also the many useful links to other sites. My first port of call when a query arises.

OldCanal

Here you go @OldCanal
View attachment 35724
Weight as is currently 19lb 7oz.
That first pic with the Alan in the background was the Ebay listing picture, only the Gameson was on sale though. Will speak with Nick at Lloyds later today re Decals. Be surprised if he doesn't have the pattern on record at least. I do however have access to quality pics of an original owned by a friend of a friend if required. That classiclightweights site is an excellent research tool, not only for what it contains but also the many useful links to other sites. My first port of call when a query arises.
Thank you, it looks very good and will look even more distinguished with the decals. Hope Nick can help. Yes, Classiclightweights is essential reference for folk like us. We're indebted to Peter Underwood for starting it all. I enjoy reading back through his 'Cambridge News' which always offers interesting insights for retro enthusiasts. I'm still awaiting receipt of my 'Hobbs' and as mentioned, the wait is getting more painful by the day.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Thank you, it looks very good and will look even more distinguished with the decals. Hope Nick can help. Yes, Classiclightweights is essential reference for folk like us. We're indebted to Peter Underwood for starting it all. I enjoy reading back through his 'Cambridge News' which always offers interesting insights for retro enthusiasts. I'm still awaiting receipt of my 'Hobbs' and as mentioned, the wait is getting more painful by the day.
Nick is going to do decals for me working from photos. He has a backlog at the moment of outstanding work so may take some time but will be worth the wait I'm sure. No one else in my experience takes the care and produces the quality that Nick does.

Top Bottom