Gandalf corner Larndon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos of this part of London.Cyclingmikey puts up his videos of takling motorists who cut this corner.Got to say I support him.How hard is it understand they are driving on the wrong side of the road in to oncoming traffic which includes cyclists,plus pedestrians who are not really expecting motorists to be driving the wrong way even for a short distamce,and approaching a busy junction on the wrong side of the road.CM is getting a lot of stick,it would be better if the local council laid out direction on the road surface with yellow paint ie a box junction and a very large no entry sign on the road.Any London CC members any thoughts on CM and his campaign.

Slick

Guru
Not London based but I have seen a lot of his videos and I do think he can be a bit extreme at times. He does some great work and can stand his ground with the best of them, and should probably get a medal for sorting out number of self entitled drivers.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I have seen some of his "gandalf corner" vids too. He's doing what the law should be. They don't have to put plod there these days, but a camera with ANPR should be enough. I do worry he is going to stop the wrong person one day and he is just going to be chopped up and stuffed in a suitcase with cyrillic writing on it...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cyclingmikey used to be a member of this forum back in the early days and used to ride with with us Sunday London Riders. He's a thoroughly all round good guy though can be a little sanctimonious at times.
In regards to him bring attacked he has been a few times and yes he stands his ground. He has no worries about being able to handle himself in any physical confrontation and is under no illusion that he won't be on future altercations.
Yes the police should be doing the job at Gandalf corner and sometimes they do, but not enough.
The pure self entitlement of some of the drivers he stops is staggering.
More power to his elbow.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
In case anyone hasn't seen it, it's this keep left sign that drivers are ignoring to shortcut the wrong way past the island and turn right. It's very obvious and they know they shouldn't be doing it. Most probably think they're just being a bit cheeky. The best way to solve it would be to reduce overall traffic on the Outer Circle so there's no queue to jump.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
It's the blatant arrogance of the drivers I am too important to wait in a queue.Some of them come from way way back so they know exactly what they are doing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In case anyone hasn't seen it, it's this keep left sign that drivers are ignoring to shortcut the wrong way past the island and turn right. It's very obvious and they know they shouldn't be doing it. Most probably think they're just being a bit cheeky. The best way to solve it would be to reduce overall traffic on the Outer Circle so there's no queue to jump.

View attachment 617684

Indeed it’s points on the licence time for them for disobeying a traffic order.

Some sort of barrier which is soft/harmless/non-existent when driven over/through in the correct direction (and which can be remote-controlled to be safe in any direction by emergency vehicles responding to a call out) but which has damaging hooks, spikes or solid bollards which appear when driven over or through in the wrong direction would be perfect ...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
They should put those metal rocker ramps down where you can drive over them one way, but not the other .
Problem with that is it could hamper emergency vehicles. Yesterday an ambulance with blues and twos
came from behind but due to a lorry unloading scaffolding on the left causing cars to stop for oncoming vehicles plus a traffic island forced it to the oncoming carriageway where traffic stopped to let it through. Perhaps we are more tolerant here.

hatler

Guru
It did appear that the driver in this one had little clue as to how to reverse such a ludicrously large vehicle.

Top Bottom