GAP and C&O canal path?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marvelitsky

Hi I'd really love to do this trip from Pittsburgh to DC or the other way around. Anyone here ever gone on that route?

Chris S

Legendary Member
:welcome: This is a UK forum but there are a few members from the US.

brommieinkorea

Have cycled the Great Allegheny Passage from Duquesne into Pittsburgh. Paved (asphalt surface) and fairly nice. Unfortunately the C&O is gravel and can get muddy in places.
Renting a bike in the USA is Damm hard to do, even in big cities like D.C. or Pittsburgh. Bike shops and especially rental places are non-existant in small towns in the US.

As always I'll pipe in with CrazyGuyOnABike. A huge number of journals of rides and a great search function to drill down.
This should get you started:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/locales/?locale_id=367161&doctype=journal

YouTube will also have lots of info.

Is there anything in particular you wanted to know? I recall a lot of information about surfaces, weather, accommodation published since it's such a popular ride.

Good luck!

OP
OP
marvelitsky

marvelitsky

Have cycled the Great Allegheny Passage from Duquesne into Pittsburgh. Paved (asphalt surface) and fairly nice. Unfortunately the C&O is gravel and can get muddy in places.
Renting a bike in the USA is Damm hard to do, even in big cities like D.C. or Pittsburgh. Bike shops and especially rental places are non-existant in small towns in the US.

Hey there well it helps that I am already in the USA on the East Coast and owns several of my own bikes so I'm lucky there.😉

OP
OP
marvelitsky

marvelitsky

We had thought about it (and got the book - here ), but then COVID intervened. It is still on our to-do list. The plan was go from UK on a freighter, hire a tandem in Washington, cycle to Pittsburgh then fly back to the UK (or maybe do some other US things)

Maybe next year :smile:

Thank you for the tip on the trail guide I appreciate it and I just bought it.

Top Bottom