Garage-less?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We have 5 bikes in the spare room, but they are not that easily accessible. The other 3 are all outside in an area that is enclosed and gated (and just big enough to get about 5 bikes into a push (including a towbar mounted bike rack, or 3 bikes on said rack and 1 recumbent trike)) but we are in a very quiet area.
Your only other option would be to rent a garage locally to the house, and hope!

potsy

Rambler
Could you not get rid of a couple instead of buying more? :whistle:

Maybe trade them all in for a Brompton for easy storage :whistle:

Our spare bedroom has 4 bikes in, 2 more in the understairs cupboard, not thought of hanging any on the walls yet though.

Origamist

Legendary Member
When we were in a small flat in Tooting, we had four bikes in the hallway. Luckily it was quite long and wide. I put down a runner to protect the floorboards (and newspaper when it was wet) and I put cloth over the handle-bars to stop the bartape marking the walls. It was not ideal, but it worked for three years. The only mistake I made was once being in too much of rush to get the bike out and I clattered the door frame with a pedal. Left a nasty gouge...

Best of luck with the move.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
Where I'm renting I've got 3 bikes, plus all the tools and other bike clutter. The bikes go in a shed. Spare tyres, wheels, panniers, etc., under the bed. When not being used toolboxes get a blanket thrown over them so they look like something vaguely furniture-ish. Any mechanics get done in the back yard in the summer - always nice with a cold brew - in the winter, a sheet has to go down in the room and it gets done there.

The shed isn't particularly secure, but then I don't think any of the bikes are *that* nickable. I used to D-lock them all together, but with the coming and going I just can't be bothered anymore.

Julia9054

Guru
This could be me writing this!
I am about to put my house on the market and downsize. My eldest has gone to uni and my youngest will be following in 18 months. I need 1 less reception room, 1 less bedroom, a yard instead of a huge garden and a smaller mortgage! I also need a garage as we have 7 bikes between us plus all the associated bits for fettling.
The "need a garage but don't want a garden" bit seems to be causing the difficulty.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Where are you going to put your kids when they aren't at Uni? Mine still reappear and bring lots of stuff in boxes with them!

Top Bottom