Garage refurb project - advice sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
Whenever I remove suspected asbestos I spray with diluted PVA to reduce dust. Use a quality mask and disposable overalls.
It wont hurt to do removal on a rainy day.

Are the wall concrete panels loaded with asbestos?
One of the tricks used by contractors is to slather it in wallpaper paste. No dust then.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I started removing the roofing sheets today.

61D7C6FC-0D30-4511-82C9-4AAA90BA2567.jpeg

It looks like all six will come off whole which is a relief. I now have easier access to cut back all the ivy and other vegetation between my neighbour’s garage and mine. I wire brushed the roof support frame and have given the parts exposed so far a liberal coat of Hammerite.

I can’t fully remove the sheets until my unreliable scaffolders actually turn up to remove their kit which is in the way. But that’s another story…

The side door has never been usable and has sunk over time as it rotted from the bottom. I built a new door frame and ledge/brace tongue and groove door which is now primed for painting. New window frames will be fettled tomorrow but I won’t glaze them until the heavy work is finished. The prefab nature of the garage means I have an opportunity to reduce the size of the windows (for security) and add another one.

Tomorrow will hopefully also see me remove and rebuild the tiled front part of the roof.

I’m enjoying myself so far ^_^

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Most of those prefab garages have windows only 6" wide of so, smaller than a human head.
The original was a four pane job, about 30” square - three panels high. I’m probably going to reduced it to two panels high and add another one on the side.

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Progress has been slower than I had anticipated. A colleague having a baby meant that I cancelled my leave last week to cover his night shift so I only had a few hours each day to get stuck in.

AF01E53E-E4CB-4C69-BD1B-5A00533F4FB8.jpeg

As I hoped, the roof panels came off whole and are now wrapped and awaiting collection tomorrow. The total size was a little over the allowable 15 m^2 - when I measured I forgot to include the overlap - so I had to pay an extra £8.58 :smile:.

B33B0461-DC0C-4D17-8A51-CAD0CBC862D9.jpeg

All of the metal frame is sound apart from this one supporting the ridge, so I replaced that and painted the rest.

713F1B15-81C2-4FC7-9997-F48B96310D82.jpeg

I built a treated timber frame to attach on top of the old metal, giving me something to fix the new roof panels to.

5B98760F-F3FB-4B90-803A-A88B4567631D.jpeg

Windows resized and moved, new door painted.

30E47740-CF43-45CD-B775-5D7EF3804E9D.jpeg

Frame and battens fixed and a few tiles hung just to test. I need some more tiles but I’m currently struggling to find someone with stock that will sell me a small quantity of grey Redland 49s or similar rather than a pallet of 336.

Cladco will be delivering my new panels and fascias on Tuesday.

Last but not least, the up and over door mechanism has finally given up. The top of the frame was already about to give way, repaired with a length of steel angle, but now the springs and runners and the lift arm on one side have disintegrated too. Probably time for a new door if I can find one of the right size. Looking online I can’t find anything less than 6’ 6” tall but my aperture is only 6’. What about a roller door? I’m not sure if I have sufficient headroom for the mechanism under my sloping tiled section. Does anyone have any helpful thoughts or expertise?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Progress has been slower than I had anticipated. A colleague having a baby meant that I cancelled my leave last week to cover his night shift so I only had a few hours each day to get stuck in.

View attachment 614873
As I hoped, the roof panels came off whole and are now wrapped and awaiting collection tomorrow. The total size was a little over the allowable 15 m^2 - when I measured I forgot to include the overlap - so I had to pay an extra £8.58 :smile:.

View attachment 614874
All of the metal frame is sound apart from this one supporting the ridge, so I replaced that and painted the rest.

View attachment 614875
I built a treated timber frame to attach on top of the old metal, giving me something to fix the new roof panels to.

View attachment 614876
Windows resized and moved, new door painted.

View attachment 614877
Frame and battens fixed and a few tiles hung just to test. I need some more tiles but I’m currently struggling to find someone with stock that will sell me a small quantity of grey Redland 49s or similar rather than a pallet of 336.

Cladco will be delivering my new panels and fascias on Tuesday.

Last but not least, the up and over door mechanism has finally given up. The top of the frame was already about to give way, repaired with a length of steel angle, but now the springs and runners and the lift arm on one side have disintegrated too. Probably time for a new door if I can find one of the right size. Looking online I can’t find anything less than 6’ 6” tall but my aperture is only 6’. What about a roller door? I’m not sure if I have sufficient headroom for the mechanism under my sloping tiled section. Does anyone have any helpful thoughts or expertise?
Build some wooden doors that open outwards

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Build some wooden doors that open outwards
Yes, I have thought about that but I don’t know if my carpentry and joinery skills are good enough to build and hang big heavy doors.

I will probably remove the existing door first and see if I can find a way of repairing the frame and mechanism that doesn’t involve throwing good money after bad. After that I need a plan B.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yes, I have thought about that but I don’t know if my carpentry and joinery skills are good enough to build and hang big heavy doors.

I will probably remove the existing door first and see if I can find a way of repairing the frame and mechanism that doesn’t involve throwing good money after bad. After that I need a plan B.
Im sure you can do it, just take your time, measure twice, cut once…….

OP
OP
newfhouse

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Reasonably watertight again, if not finished. Excellent service from Cladco - thanks for the steer @Drago - who delivered late yesterday rather than this morning as expected. That left me a whole day to get all the panels fitted, the old tiles hung on the front, and a very temporary ridge to keep the rain out. The weekend should see the barges and gutters fitted before I install my new consumer unit and renew the electrics.

B6008592-90DD-451D-BEDF-EE80CD9EA511.jpeg

Top Bottom