Garage Security Help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So with my new daughter now here I have to consider where I am going to put my new carbon machine which is currently leaning up against her cot ;)

I have a garage that is water tight to a degree and was wondering how people keep your bikes secure in the garage.

Having had my house fully burgled before by someone who watched until I was out I feel that if they want to get in they will so my theory is that if they do get in I want them to have job getting my bike out

So CC ‘ers what tips on garage security can you offer? unfortun

I was thinking about an anchor and chain like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....307275&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2711wt_693

What about one of these? Although I am thinking it may just attract attention.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....453653&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2291wt_753

Any other thoughts????

Thanks

Clive

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
Can anyone offer any thoughts????

dodgy

I can add some thoughts :smile:

I installed a driveway alarm that sounds a chime inside the house if anyone walks down my driveway, it's installed in a way to absolutely minimise false positives. So if it goes off, there's someone on my drive. The system is wireless and you can add lots of sensors at about £17 a go.

Inside the garage I have wall anchor bolts, but to be honest - they're their to satisfy the Ts&Cs of my house insurance.

I'll watch this thread with interest.

Chrisc

Guru
Both your suggestions will help and look well priced. The sold secure range should also help your insurance costs. Get your house alarm wired into the garage as well.

mr Mag00

rising member
as i said for 'the same product' they are not the cheapest. Dont know how else to highlight that part. cost of the same product should not affect the security. sorry if i offended you just putting the advice out there

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
mr Mag00 said:
as i said for 'the same product' they are not the cheapest. Dont know how else to highlight that part. cost of the same product should not affect the security. sorry if i offended you just putting the advice out there

Fair enough I cant say I have found it any cheaper anywhere else but I guess its worth a look. However after talking to them I think it is a fair price for the backup and information you get from them.

nigelb

We recently had our garage block "done".

Wherever there was a sensible extra lock, it had been broken, or the corner of the door bent up etc. Ours had no extra lock and was left untouched (apparently, maybe they popped it open, had a look, thouight "good grief" and closed it again!).

A standard up and over garage door can be opened with a screwdriver in about the same time it takes to use the key (even I managed, when I couldn't find the key one time).

So, I will also be watching how this thread develops with great interest, as currently I don't have a clue how to make a garage secure ...

Nige

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use a ground anchor and a d lock with extension for the best bike. The other road bike is secured with a wall anchor and thick cable - i.e. if they are gonna get a bike it won't be the expensive one......

Garage door wise, I have an additional solid steel hasp losk that's cut into the door frame and bolted through the frame - no exposed bolts/screw heads, and an additional lock at the bottom. Bars on windows/side door, and side door bolted shut.

mr Mag00

rising member
we had our double up and over door done a few years ago. it is some way from the house, now have a baby alarm inside. fitted these.
which can be found eslewhere on the www cheaper as they are out of stock. good depth into door frame. yet to fit anything in teh garage for the bikes themselves, thinking about ground or wall anchors but this wll mean bikes take up much more room :smile:

OP
OP
Mista Preston

Mista Preston

Veteran
many thanks for your advice. I am going to look into a ground anchor to start with I think plus a good security light and maybe something for the garage door

thanks again

Clive

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I had one of those alarm mines on my garage years ago when I bought my first fancy motorbike (fireblade). TBH it was a pain in the a**e. I never accidently set it off, but was always faffing about with the cable that attaches to it. You've got to ask yourself if you would want to come down to tackle the guy/s who have just set it off. (mind you it's a bit loud! would probably scare the wotsit out of them). Same goes for the baby alarm - would you go out to tackle the thieves? The chances are they are tooled up, and I don't mean screwdrivers!

I had a ground anchor once, the trick is to get the bike (or whatever) in the way so that the scumbag can't get in to lever it off the floor, and make sure they can't get any purchase on it to get a lever in. So put it against a wall, fill the shackle, don't leave the chain on the floor (they use bolt cutters and lever them against the floor - theres a vid somewhere on you tube of various chains being chopped up in this manner) cross your fingers and accept if they want it bad enough they will take it.

Probably better to tie a hungry doberman to the handlebars IMO:biggrin:

Top Bottom