Garden bike sheds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I am installing three of these in a neighbour's back garden as bike storage for his tenants.
cycle_lockers1_large.jpg

http://www.mikoengineering.co.uk/cycle_products/cycle_lockers.html
They seem really solid, probably 100+kg in weight each. I got them free of charge as scrap removal, Four more went to St Nicholas Fields Charity where Arch works.
Their only real weakness is the flimsy padlock hasp on the door. I will be looking to up grade them for my neightbour.
They are to be installed on a bed of 600mm square paving slabs but I am also tempted to fit ground anchors into the ground or security bolted to the insde of the lockers.
The lockers will be bolted together and to the paving to reduce the risk of one being lifted up.

If I were to build a secure wooden shed, of conventional appearance, I would be looking at lining the inside with 18mm plywood, steel security hinge bolts, double mortice locks and anti jimmy frame edges. I would still have a large ground anchor inside between the bikes and the back wall of the shed to make it harder to get at.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All the thief needs is a screwdriver to take the hinges/locks off a wooden shed, if i had a nice bike i would look at something more secure.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
I think that a wooden shed will have to do, with the required security upgrades in time, anything is more secure than the shed in which the bikes are currently stored. What sort of base would be suitable for a shed to rest on? I was considering simple concrete paving slabs on a bed of sand, there are many in one corner not being used for anything that would be more than enough to cover the footprint of a 3'x7' shed. If they are inadequate I would consider laying a bed of concrete although that may bump the cost up a bit but may enhance security. I suppose it comes down to what would be a suitable surface for a ground anchor and one to attach the shed's base to if needed

HovR

Über Member
Well, concrete would seem to be a better surface for a ground anchor, as you can bury the anchor, and then lay the concrete over it for extra security.

Mike!

Guru
I'll be building a low shed under the window of our back extension in the new year, I have a ground anchor that I will install into the house brickwork so it will be in the back of the shed and then chain my two bikes up to that. They both currently live indoors but we need the space back so will try to build something solid and weatherproof. Looking forward to doing it :smile:

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Unfortunately there is no space close to the house for a shed, the rear wall has a narrow path with the knee-high retaining wall for the garden about 2 feet away, plus there is not enough separation between the windows for a 7' shed to slot in. There is not enough space down either side of the house either, I would never be able to open the shed doors. The area I have decided upon is adjacent to the rear of the house along one of our fences, overlap panels with a concrete baseboard.

The area is currently occupied with a small raised flower bed but it will be no trouble removing it and laying the base for the shed. My plan for the base is for mostly paving blocks but have a substantial block of concrete poured in the centre for attaching a ground anchor. It will accessible through a hole cut out in the base of the shed.

Top Bottom