Garden bike sheds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
There is not a lot of room in our garden shed, especially with my two bikes it it, so I was thinking that a separate bike shed would free up space for other things. I have found a section of our garden closer to the house (feels more secure) that could fit a 3x7' shed nicely.

I was thinking that something like the one in the link below would be suitable.

http://www.tigersheds.com/product_detail.asp?prod=27

Does anyone have any other recommendations for a good bike store, wood or plastic?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If using wood then you want to make sure that it is good quality and well put together. Thin wood which is badly put together will be easy to break into.

Alun

Guru
I think a wooden shed is going to be somewhere between poor and crap in the security stakes depending on it's quality, unless it's a log cabin type construction. You could look at bike specific storage like here http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Add2 I don't know if they will offer any more security though. I would make a "ground anchor" by burying a big lump of concrete and attaching the bikes with a strong chain.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
The one I linked has 12mm shiplap cladding, I'm not sure if that would be secure enough but it looks like a big improvement over the thin overlap shed that the bikes currently reside in. Of course I'd be looking to beef up the security, ground anchor if possible (but not sure of a suitable base to bolt to) and a better lock plus an alarm.

Plus those metal sheds that have been linked to are way above my budget, £200 is about the max for the foreseeable future.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The one I linked has 12mm shiplap cladding, I'm not sure if that would be secure enough but it looks like a big improvement over the thin overlap shed that the bikes currently reside in. Of course I'd be looking to beef up the security, ground anchor if possible (but not sure of a suitable base to bolt to) and a better lock plus an alarm.

Plus those metal sheds that have been linked to are way above my budget, £200 is about the max for the foreseeable future.
my bike shed is 5x thicker than that and I still worry about it.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I built my own shed 10yrs ago when I lived in a back to back terrace with a small garden. Built it with re-claimed timber floorboards and 3"x2" frame. Had enough timber left to make shelves inside. It was rock solid and dry inside and was fun to build.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Whatever storage you decide on, make sure your bike insurance is still valid when using it.

The bike insurance is valid in whatever kind of shed it is stored in as long as there is a lock on the door. That was what I was told when adding the bikes on to the home insurance.

I seriously doubt that a metal shed of any kind would be affordable so a wood or plastic one will have to do.

I thought my bikes were secure in my garage but I was wrong. From now on my new bikes will live in the house, bit of a faff but I'll make space. I wouldn't feel happy leaving them in my garage anymore, let alone a garden shed.

OP
OP
Holdsworth

Holdsworth

Über Member
Absolutely no space in the house for either bike so in the garden they will have to stay stay. No garage for them to live in either so that is ruled out.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I also have no space inside for anything bigger than a Brompton (not much room for one of those either!). I've gone for one of the Asgard metal lockers. If I was doing it on a lower budget I'd focus on building an excellent ground anchor, build the shed around it- the purpose of the shed being to keep the bikes out of sight and dry rather than security.

400bhp

Guru
I think a wooden shed is going to be somewhere between poor and crap in the security stakes depending on it's quality, unless it's a log cabin type construction. You could look at bike specific storage like here http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Add2 I don't know if they will offer any more security though. I would make a "ground anchor" by burying a big lump of concrete and attaching the bikes with a strong chain.

You're right, but what you could do is put a couple of metal u hooks on the attaching wall and cut through the reaf of the shed so that the hooks protrude on the inside of the shed.

That's what I would do.

Top Bottom