Veli Copilot - AI-powered bike light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Would you be willing to spend £300 plus on a AI rear light/camera combination?
Five hour battery life from it's internal battery. USB-C charging socket

Providing an audible warning for the cyclist, or when paired with a phone on the handlebars, a visual warning as well.
https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/interviews/ai-co-pilot-bike-light-makes-cycling-safer

The light will change colour or its pattern in an attempt to draw a driver’s attention to the cyclist, which it says should “help prevent crashes before they can occur”.
https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.co...ilot-bike-light-uses-ai-to-keep-cyclists-safe

Is it a solution looking for a problem, or a piece of technology that has positive benefits for the user.
Will the light changing colour restrict it's use in the UK.
Are we starting to rely too much on technology to try and keep us safe.

The saddle rail mount looks as though it may not stand up to prolonged use. My opinion only. Similar mounting system used on handlebar mounted cameras have failed on me.

Slick

Guru
Maybe I've missed something, but it looks like someone has stuck a couple of garmin varia's together.

If I have missed something, and could get over the fugliness of the setup, I would consider anything if I genuinely believed it somehow made me less vulnerable on the road.

tom73

Guru
Just listened to 5 Live science this morning. I'm still none the wiser what they are hoping to achieve or how effective they have tested it.
Looking at it have to say it's bloody ugly lump of plastic if that's the production model it needs a total rethink.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm not sure why the light should change colour when a driver is too close. Is the change is supposed to trigger something in the driver's brain having drawn to a cyclist's rear light like a moth to a flame?

tom73

Guru
I'm not sure why the light should change colour when a driver is too close. Is the change is supposed to trigger something in the driver's brain having drawn to a cyclist's rear light like a moth to a flame?

It's suppose to grab the drivers attention when they've got distracted by something else. If they can't be bothered to look which way they are going. Can't see a bit of plastic flashing at them making them look. Now if it sen't out a death ray if you stopped looking forwards then maybe they are on to something.
Till then I won't be investing in one so i'm out.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
an audible warning is no substitute for regular shoulder checks.

I'm yet to be rear ended whilst out on the roads at night, so I guess my current rear light set-up is adequate.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can't see how it's all that different to the (generally well received) Varia. It has a different detection mechanism - camera vs whatever radar style gizmo the Varia uses. And it has a different response - it changes colour vs the change in flash rate of the Varia. So different only in details.

I wonder if it does actually use AI or whether they are just using the buzzword du jour?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I tried finding out exactly what you're getting for your £300 before posting, but the information is thin on the ground, conflicting at times.

Top Bottom