Garden Path with a slope - thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Hi

I’m after some DIY advice ….

After building our new shed last year i am wanting to put in a stone slab path. The path will need to raise in height by approx 100mm/ 4 inch over a distance of approx 2.1m / 7 foot To allow me to get the mower out easily - the finished level will be the same as the door threshold to this section. (I have calculated the above to take into account the mortar bed and slab thickness)

i was thinking that i would use some wood to creat a ‘former’ and then mix a fairly dry lot of concrete and put this in the former to make the sides of the sloped section. In fill with hardcore/MOT and then a mortar bed for the slabs.

I’m always up for trying something new and getting my hands dirty so happy to give this a try.

Does this sound like the correct approach? Any advice gratefully received.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
This clip might be of interest. I think it's all down to the concrete mix water content.

[media]
]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfU4nNIoajM[/media]

Jameshow

Veteran
Hi

I’m after some DIY advice ….

After building our new shed last year i am wanting to put in a stone slab path. The path will need to raise in height by approx 100mm/ 4 inch over a distance of approx 2.1m / 7 foot To allow me to get the mower out easily - the finished level will be the same as the door threshold to this section. (I have calculated the above to take into account the mortar bed and slab thickness)

i was thinking that i would use some wood to creat a ‘former’ and then mix a fairly dry lot of concrete and put this in the former to make the sides of the sloped section. In fill with hardcore/MOT and then a mortar bed for the slabs.

I’m always up for trying something new and getting my hands dirty so happy to give this a try.

Does this sound like the correct approach? Any advice gratefully received.

If using MOT just make a dryish mix and lay your slabs on top of this?

If using hardcore to make up the depth put the hardcore down first. I would crush it down further in smaller lumps before pouring concrete in top.

OP
OP
Buck

Buck

Guru
Thanks for the replies.

For the main path I will dig out the earth and put a sub-layer of MOT in and compact down before using a full mortar bed.

For the slope I think using two boards cut to the slope line and in fill with the dry-ish concrete mix (to avoid slumping). I can then add the mortar mix on top to bed the slabs in.

Top Bottom