Garden pond

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Has anybody got one and how did you go about building it????

Thanks

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Seemed simple enough on Ground Force: Dig a hole. Add pond liner from garden centre. Trim liner / hide it under rocks. Add plants.
And, inexplicably: paint your fences blue.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Decide how you're going to dispose of the spoil. Traditional method is to make a rockery <yawn> near to the pond, which should preferably enjoy full sunlight for most of the day.

We made a rockery, of course, incorporating lots of "caves" of various lengths and diameters of plastic pipe for frogs and toads to hibernate in, accessible from the pond margins. Some of the spoil, when we got down far enough, was a red clay suitable for rustic pottery.

Make the whole thing more interesting by designing a watercourse from near the top of the rockery. Don't skimp on the pump - get one that's reliable and capable of pumping a high volume of water to a reasonable height - you can always reduce the flow if necessary by using a small diameter hose, dialling back the volume if it's a really posh pump, or fitting a fountain attachment. Bury the hose in a larger diameter waste pipe so you can replace it at a later date if necessary without having to dig up the established rockery. Take great care over burying the power supply where you can locate it again and using high quality electric fittings.

When you've decided on the dimensions of the pond, make it at least twice the size you first decided. Trust me, you won't regret it.
Make the pond at least 90cm deep, with shallower margins for plants. Research the marginal plants to avoid the more problematic species, like water mint - it's great for bees, but very invasive. Use the best quality liner you can afford, and protect the exposed edges from sunlight as much as possible, with overhanging stones - we bought broken Yorkstone flags, which have been brilliant, but a hell of a jigsaw puzzle. Enough for now, maybe some pics over the weekend so you don't repeat our mistakes!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I’m not sure if it’s a pond we want or just a large water feature......still researching to see what’s best

Levo-Lon

Guru

Constructed may 18 , added 10 fish, now over a 100.
No filter as we're not allowed at work , legionnaire risk :laugh::laugh:

Little bit problematic keeping it clear but ok for fish.

If it was just a wildlife pond it would be as clear as a bell.
The plants I added in may 18 have matured and require occasional thinning back.

Not bad for just over 2yrs ,frogs have moved in too

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
View attachment 536694

View attachment 536689

View attachment 536690

View attachment 536692

View attachment 536693

View attachment 536694 View attachment 536696

Constructed may 18 , added 10 fish, now over a 100.
No filter as we're not allowed at work , legionnaire risk :laugh::laugh:

Little bit problematic keeping it clear but ok for fish.

If it was just a wildlife pond it would be as clear as a bell.
The plants I added in may 18 have matured and require occasional thinning back.

Not bad for just over 2yrs ,frogs have moved in too
That looks ace. :okay:

Why are adding filters a risk?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
This theead is a bit like "how long is a piece of string".

How big, how deep, what do you want to make it out of, is it for fish or plants only. What kind of fish do you want.

In our case there was already a hole in the ground with water in it. Mr WD just made the hole a lot bigger, threw some irises that we bought with us from Brum into it along with some lillies from our old pond, bought some tench, Rudd, roach, perch etc and away you go.

It's now been expanded even more and is about 100 feet long.

Mr WD has been making noises about building another one closer the back of house, but we shall see. You can have too much of a good thing.

Levo-Lon

Guru
That looks ace. :okay:

Why are adding filters a risk?

I work for a care provider, they won't allow pumps or anything that may cause a risk.
A filter would be ok as long as I didn't have a fountain, but they don't want electrical cable or anything ...it's a big deal doing anything ...

Levo-Lon

Guru
This theead is a bit like "how long is a piece of string".

How big, how deep, what do you want to make it out of, is it for fish or plants only. What kind of fish do you want.

In our case there was already a hole in the ground with water in it. Mr WD just made the hole a lot bigger, threw some irises that we bought with us from Brum into it along with some lillies from our old pond, bought some tench, Rudd, roach, perch etc and away you go.

It's now been expanded even more and is about 100 feet long.

Mr WD has been making noises about building another one closer the back of house, but we shall see. You can have too much of a good thing.

A lot of men tell the wife "I'm digging a pond darling" :laugh::laugh:

Slick

Guru
I work for a care provider, they won't allow pumps or anything that may cause a risk.
A filter would be ok as long as I didn't have a fountain, but they don't want electrical cable or anything ...it's a big deal doing anything ...
Ah, okay. Looks great either way, I might give it a go next year. :okay:

D

Deleted member 26715

You could also go pneumatic like Chatsworth House

Top Bottom