Gardener's question time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I have been given the task of affixing wires alongside our garage so that my other half can train some kind of plants up the side of it. A bit like a picture wire. Anybody ever done this kind of thing? The garage is about 4m long. I am thinking I need some decent galvanised loops at either end and maybe another half way. Then three wires evenly spaced up the wall would be enough. How would I finish off the wires at either end to stop fraying etc. If it were brake or gear cables I could put ferrules on them I'm thinking these wires would be thicker. Any advice appreciated.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Wood, brick, steel or concrete ?

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Why not just buy some wooden trellis?
We took down a rotten old trellis from the same spot. Swmbo says wires, so it has to be wires.

Milzy

Guru
How far do I cut back my lavender? I know if you go too far it will kill the plant.

What’s a hardy Acer that will stay dwarf size?

Thanks.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The hardest you should go would be to leave minimum 3-4 green leaves past the flower spikes. It doesn’t seem to like hard pruning back into the woody stems.

That said they are pretty much semi disposable plants so replace around the 3-5 year milestone.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
How far do I cut back my lavender? I know if you go too far it will kill the plant.

What’s a hardy Acer that will stay dwarf size?

Thanks.

Just remove the spent flower stems now, don’t cut into anything else.
In the spring at it starts to shoot you can give it a light trim to encourage shoots from lower down the plant.

Top Bottom