Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fixedfixer

Veteran
You'll see stones advertised for free on Gumtree when people want them taken away. Not much help as it doesn't sound like you have a 'tip trailer'. Maybe a couple of beers for help from a friend with a trailer?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
...I'm not laying a membrane though. Nothing new grows on this blighted soil anyway.

It will now! You jinxed it.

Don't be tight and lazy! Lay a membrane and it'll save you in the long term. Trust me, I'm an African.

EDIT: In time the aggregated will mix with the soil and look awful. No half jobs. Darwin's earthworm and rock experiment demonstrates this perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Bugger. They lied about next day delivery order before 12.

Maybe a local independent shop will do something.

PK99

Legendary Member
Yes. Go for a flint in 20/40mm flavour for the reasons above, but also any sort of 'pea' gravel will make ideal cat litter as @User13710 says.

you got there before me...

Also, to suppress weeds. Either lay 2 inches over a woven weeds barrier (available on rolls to cut to size at garden center) or if you want to plant in the gravel, dig out and lay a 4 inch thick layer. that will keep weeds at bay but not isolate the soil from replenishing with organic matter - leave the autumn leaves in place and the worms will drag them underground.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't be tight and lazy! Lay a membrane and it'll save you in the long term. Trust me, I'm an African.

EDIT: In time the aggregated will mix with the soil and look awful. No half jobs. Darwin's earthworm and rock experiment demonstrates this perfectly.
All membranes do is delay most of the inevitable weeding a few years (if you're lucky and have picked a good one). Even with completely evil builder's plastic sheet (as someone has used under part of my stone), some weeds will shoot astonishing distances horizontally to get through the overlap and find the sun (cypress spurge is one local curse that does it).

Where different membranes have been used (now all long under the earth raised up by worms), the weeds merely come through at different rates now. Some mix of weeding, raking and chemical warfare (if you're into such things) will be needed forevermore IMO. Unless it needs to support heavy traffic (which will keep most weeds down) is it kinder than putting it to grass, thyme or similar? I'm not sure.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
All membranes do is delay most of the inevitable weeding a few years (if you're lucky and have picked a good one). Even with completely evil builder's plastic sheet (as someone has used under part of my stone), some weeds will shoot astonishing distances horizontally to get through the overlap and find the sun (cypress spurge is one local curse that does it).

Where different membranes have been used (now all long under the earth raised up by worms), the weeds merely come through at different rates now. Some mix of weeding, raking and chemical warfare (if you're into such things) will be needed forevermore IMO. Unless it needs to support heavy traffic (which will keep most weeds down) is it kinder than putting it to grass, thyme or similar? I'm not sure.

Are you suggesting turfing it or planting thyme instead?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
And if you get the laurel stump out yourself, you have an honoury and instant job down here with me in Somerset.

Not looking to remove it, was just going to let it sprout small and chop back occasionally.

If I remove it, I'll have to replace it with something - more work, not less!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you suggesting turfing it or planting thyme instead?
I don't know. Probably not turf as then you'll have to mow it and pick grass out of the paving in the bottom of the shot! I guess I'm ranting and wondering if anyone has experience with something that works better than the expensive slate that I've used most recently. I guess I'd use slate for your problem patch, but I expect it'll last three years tops before you have to start weeding again.

I find gardening rather annoying when stuff I want to grow dies and stuff I want to eradicate keeps growing back :smile:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Maybe I could strip all the laurel leaves and use them to hide the scrubland...?

Could work to make it presentable during the BBQ on Saturday anyway.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
IMG_9045.JPG
I think just raking it transformed it. Stuck a few plants in.

IMG_9016.JPG
IMG_9046.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom