Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Let us know their progress. Particularly the palm. Thanks.

It's going to die, they all are. I'm giving it about two weeks and a 1 in 10 that anything at all survives...

IMG_9050.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Let us know their progress. Particularly the palm. Thanks.
Well they're not all dead yet, which is a minor victory.

The palm looks fine but the roots have become exposed:
IMG_9190.JPG

I dead headed the rose bush a few weeks ago, no new flowers and it looks like it has some kind of disease, black spot?
IMG_9184.JPG

I can't remember what this is, but it looks the same as it went in, apart from near the base:
IMG_9186.JPG

The local fauna seem to have decided this watchamacallit it an elevated toilet:
IMG_9193.JPG

But the pansises and violas have done well against a north facing wall:
IMG_9194.JPG

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I would replant the palm. I'm not doing it as I'm alergic to the spines. The bay with die back on the leaves will be fine. Tough as old boots.

Roses always look miz to me unless in full sun, out of the wind, in free draining soil, fed continuously, no moisture on the leaves etc etc etc. Fussy things especially in our warm, wet climate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay I'll replant the palm.

Think Ill re pot the cypress thing as well and move it out to the back.

I've follow monty don on planting layers of bulbs this morning, daffs, tulips, capped with violas or pansies (I can't tell the difference)

And moved the heathers to larger pots with compost and ash.

Trying to nurse a hydrangea back to health too.

IMG_9197.JPG
IMG_9199.JPG
IMG_9200.JPG
IMG_9202.JPG
IMG_9204.JPG
IMG_9210.JPG

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've follow monty don on planting layers of bulbs this morning, daffs, tulips, capped with violas or pansies (I can't tell the difference)

Violas have the smaller flowers and are much better value for money in terms of flowering performance, colour range and overall growth. You have Viola in the terracotta container photograph posted earlier.

Don't bother with so called winter flowering pansy always chose viola. They will give much more colour through the winter and begin flowering earlier in spring - I'm a retired sales manager for a major bedding plant producer.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't bother with so called winter flowering pansy always chose viola. They will give much more colour through the winter and begin flowering earlier in spring - I'm a retired sales manager for a major bedding plant producer.
I'd make sure you like them because the seeding varieties (particularly dog violet, the county flower of Lincolnshire, which basically grows as a weed here) will spread, even from pots into nearby gravel paths, so you might never get rid of them.

keithmac

Guru
I dug our Laurel out after putting up with it for years, was a nightmare but satisfying at the same time!.

Picture doesn't do it justice, it was 7ft tall and same across at one point, couldn't kill it off..

20130407_140955.jpg

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I'd make sure you like them because the seeding varieties (particularly dog violet, the county flower of Lincolnshire, which basically grows as a weed here) will spread, even from pots into nearby gravel paths, so you might never get rid of them.
Funnily enough I just posted on gardenersworld about the seeds from the violas and pansies.

I'm not sure whether to collect the seed pods or let them fall where they are.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru

Trying to nurse a hydrangea back to health too. View attachment 375124 View attachment 375125 View attachment 375126

So the bulbs have come up lovely, but droopy.
Honestly I though the tulips would come up later in the year.

Is this the snow weighing on them last week and/or is there anything I can do?

06677069-D405-4C95-9E15-430BE91DD2D3.jpeg

The hydrangea looks to be sprouting - should I cut back the brown bits above the sprouting bits?

72E1D515-5C63-49B8-B120-2D0B314838C6.jpeg

Cheers.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
So the bulbs have come up lovely, but droopy.
Honestly I though the tulips would come up later in the year.

Is this the snow weighing on them last week and/or is there anything I can do?

View attachment 401313

The hydrangea looks to be sprouting - should I cut back the brown bits above the sprouting bits?

View attachment 401314

Cheers.
u

A bit of droop eh? C’est la vie I’m afraid. Water might help them be a bit more turgid. Or Dead head, use in the house and let the upright ones steal the show.

Hydrangea: cut out the dead wood to about 10mm above the first green bud bud. Ok bud? It won’t make a massive difference, but snip at 45 degree angle as a minimal measure to rot/water getting into the stem.

Top Bottom