Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Aliums and iris. Two of the easiest things to grow, but so effective

IMG_20190601_183652.jpg

Milzy

Guru
I want a fantastic tree in a big pot.
Ideas?
I’m thinking of an Olive tree.

I chuckled at the contributions regarding being familiar with the "recycling centre" (tip). I chip everything and use as mulch or compost. What is in the attached image I draw the line at, the result of being absent from my home for three months in 2017, never again. I had to carefully remove these before putting the plants to compost. They are the result of deeply cultivating some land in the late spring then spending longer than I intended in England, the seeds that caused the headache could be up to 90 years old laying in wait for a fool such as me to turn them upwards to the surface.
IMG_20170913_154320.jpg

I chuckled at the contributions regarding being familiar with the "recycling centre" (tip). I chip everything and use as mulch or compost. What is in the attached image I draw the line at, the result of being absent from my home for three months in 2017, never again. I had to carefully remove these before putting the plants to compost. They are the result of deeply cultivating some land in the late spring then spending longer than I intended in England, the seeds that caused the headache could be up to 90 years old laying in wait for a fool such as me to turn them upwards to the surface. View attachment 469236
What are they?

What are they?
Datura Stramonium or "Jimson Weed" seed pods, highly invasive but easily dealt with if you are resident on the land that they form part of the seed bank on. They are scary looking plants, some people actually cultivate them for their looks, others cultivate them for their highly narcotic effect. The seeds can live for almost one hundred years, deep cultivation turns them up into the germination zone and bingo you have your very own Jimson weed plantation.
I made two trips to the déchetterie with these bags, about 500L of seed pods.
Have a look at how the name Jimson came into being, it will amuse you I am sure.
All parts of the plant are narcotic in content including the roots. I torched a pile of stalks nearly two metres in height using a >100KW torch and a pyre of pallets to fire them up. I chose the day to do it very carefully, the smoke rose vertically and I thanked my lucky stars.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
Datura Stramonium or "Jimson Weed" seed pods, highly invasive but easily dealt with if you are resident on the land that they form part of the seed bank on. They are scary looking plants, some people actually cultivate them for their looks, others cultivate them for their highly narcotic effect. The seeds can live for almost one hundred years, deep cultivation turns them up into the germination zone and bingo you have your very own Jimson weed plantation.
I made two trips to the déchetterie with these bags, about 500L of seed pods.
Have a look at how the name Jimson came into being, it will amuse you I am sure.
All parts of the plant are narcotic in content including the roots. I torched a pile of stalks nearly two metres in height using a >100KW torch and a pyre of pallets to fire them up. I chose the day to do it very carefully, the smoke rose vertically and I thanked my lucky stars.

The James-Town Weed (which resembles the Thorny Apple of Peru, and I take to be the plant so call'd) is supposed to be one of the greatest coolers in the world. This being an early plant, was gather'd very young for a boil'd salad, by some of the soldiers sent thither to quell the rebellion of Bacon (1676); and some of them ate plentifully of it, the effect of which was a very pleasant comedy, for they turned natural fools upon it for several days: one would blow up a feather in the air; another would dart straws at it with much fury; and another, stark naked, was sitting up in a corner like a monkey, grinning and making mows [grimaces] at them; a fourth would fondly kiss and paw his companions, and sneer in their faces with a countenance more antic than any in a Dutch droll.

In this frantic condition they were confined, lest they should, in their folly, destroy themselves—though it was observed that all their actions were full of innocence and good nature. Indeed, they were not very cleanly; for they would have wallowed in their own excrements if they had not been prevented. A thousand such simple tricks they played, and after eleven days returned themselves again, not remembering anything that had passed.

— Robert Beverley, Jr., The History and Present State of Virginia, Book II: Of the Natural Product and Conveniencies in Its Unimprov'd State, Before the English Went Thither, 1705[13]

Top Bottom