Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
After

Attachments

• 20180408_172839.jpg
    20180408_172839.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 71

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Result

Attachments

• 20180408_172950.jpg
    20180408_172950.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
It was a machine. I cut the grass first and then used the machine in metre strips and used the lawn mower like a vaccum cleaner. The moss will still come back. But a least I got rid of a fair amount.

I’ve done mine by hand and now my compost heap is full. And there’s more in there.

Not sure what i’ll do for the rest of the year...!

B31EE2E5-7263-4159-85D6-43617D00A994.jpeg
8D6D8ABA-CF4D-4423-8D9F-070C4D3F89F6.jpeg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Have you composted moss in the past? I have tried but it went very slimey.

It’ll be ok with the right balance of carbon-rich matter. The spores seem to die off in hot composts too. That would be my main worry.

Onthedrops

Veteran
Itching to get going in my garden too.

Bought loads of small plug plants (summer bedding) which I've potted in 3" pots and now trying to grow in my very small greenhouse type poly covered growing arch thingy.
Took a stroll around the lawn this afternoon in the sunshine. All fine until I got half way ................... squelch squelch boggy mess! No lawn cut today then!
The beds are bare, the pots are empty. Nowt doing in my garden yet.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Have you composted moss in the past? I have tried but it went very slimey.

The majority of it is old grass, so I’m hoping it composts ok but we’ll see. Last year’s compost was a bust so I’ll try anything.

My wife is an amazon/very addict so we’ve got metric tons of cardboard I can add.

First grass cut of the year this afternoon. Looking scabby but much better than I thought it would considering the bog the place had become 6 weeks ago after removing several shrubs and digging out the root balls, putting in raised beds. and moving the pond from being a hole in the ground to a raised type. Even the grass seed my wife sowed a couple of weeks ago to fill in areas (like where the pond was) is starting to shoot.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Mmm, I'm more of a "tidy up the garden twice a year type" maybe mow the lawn if the kids are disappearing, kind of guy. In other words, annoying to all Gardeners.

The proper reusable refuse sacks is a good idea.

So 20/40mm pebbles for the beds - I'm not laying a membrane though. Nothing new grows on this blighted soil anyway.
Personally, I would lay a membrane. It may well be than nothing you WANT to grow, will grow, but, things you DON’T want to grow, will thrive! That is first rule of gardening!

Top Bottom