Gardeners!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5226032, member: 259"]Because you have to water the bloody things and my wife's addicted to them![/QUOTE]

You could set up a drip feed system.

Ours at work get soaked at least 3 times a week unless it's cold. They have an inch deep reservoir in the bottom.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A grass question.

I usually use a box on the mower to collect the grass. I cut it once a week.

If I cut it twice a week. Could I dispense with the box?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A grass question.

Yes.

You might get a build up of thatch, thus necessitating scarification. There are specific mulch mowers on the market that chop the clippings up fine and they then go back into the lawn... not used one myself.

It depends on how much growth you get.

https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/...-lawn-mowers-and-how-to-make-the-right-choice

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
A grass question.

I was cutting once a week, tried leaving cuttings a few times, now I have a massive thatch problem.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Put in the rest of the new beds last week, fixed swing, and a whole bunch of other activities

02E39BC0-FC1A-4FF0-9C37-C2E69941D6B7.jpeg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yes.

You might get a build up of thatch, thus necessitating scarification. There are specific mulch mowers on the market that chop the clippings up fine and they then go back into the lawn... not used one myself.

It depends on how much growth you get.

https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/...-lawn-mowers-and-how-to-make-the-right-choice

I’m going to go with a no. Collect the clippings. The thatch build up is too much of a pain and untidy in formal lawns.

I own an industrial mulching mower. It has a quad blade to clip the grass into tiny bits which in turn do a very good job of feeding the lawn. It’s rare that people do feed lawns enough. My observations are that, this tends to work only when it is very dry. If there is the slightest amount of dew or the grass is sweet and sappy, the clippings clog rather than get blown down into the base of the lawn and you just get green clumps on the surface.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
37CA9E9D-2682-4399-8DE5-B69FF3EA1DE6.jpeg

This I’m sure is Luzula sylvatica, Woodrush, and I’m seeing it everywhere these days. Is it my imagination or has Woodrush suddenly started to spread at a very significant rate?

I think this plant is showing the potential to become a very invasive weed.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Can’t believe what I discovered amongst the front garden weeds

7F865AAB-A365-4B08-9556-3A5261041D85.jpeg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I’m going to go with a no. Collect the clippings. The thatch build up is too much of a pain and untidy in formal lawns.

I own an industrial mulching mower. It has a quad blade to clip the grass into tiny bits which in turn do a very good job of feeding the lawn. It’s rare that people do feed lawns enough. My observations are that, this tends to work only when it is very dry. If there is the slightest amount of dew or the grass is sweet and sappy, the clippings clog rather than get blown down into the base of the lawn and you just get green clumps on the surface.

Controversial! Dissent in the camp....

keithmac

Guru
Well I've got this to start on Sunday, 40 posts arriving Sunday morning!.

The idea is to cut this continuous fence into 6 foot panels, pull the rotten posts and re-fit new fence posts.

While it's in bits I'll be treating it a with fence paint as well.

Sounds easy!.

Going to set the posts in packed gravel rather than postcrete..

20180426_202829.jpg
20180426_202838.jpg

keithmac

Guru
I'm going to give it a go and see what happens, I think the ground has let go on a few posts so at least with gravel I can re-tamp any loose ones after it's all settled.

They are 8ft posts so 2ft down.

Back end of garden I may end up buying 10ft concrete posts (old beck runs across the back of our garden) but that's a 2 man job!.

I think as long as I pack it in tight enough it should be ok but time will tell!.

Worst case I'll just have to postcrete them afterwards.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Can’t believe what I discovered amongst the front garden weeds

View attachment 406243
Wow, wild asparagus, lucky man. Not wild really, it's the same as normal asparagus, it's just somehow ended up in your garden. Don't cut the spear off, let it grow (it produces delicate pretty fern type leaves) for at least two years, cutting it down each autumn and mulch well over winter. Then you can harvest for the next twenty years. The taste is fantastic, well worth the wait and far superior to any shop bought stuff.
I also have a liking for the lords and ladies you have.

Top Bottom