Gardening 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Hi gardeners. Will my wild flowers come back next spring/summer? I had fox gloves & various others.
Thanks.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Hi gardeners. Will my wild flowers come back next spring/summer? I had fox gloves & various others.
Thanks.
Depends on what you had. They will be one of
a. Annuals. (e.g. poppy, marigold, corncockle) These flower and produce seeds in the same year, drop their seeds, then hopefully these germinate the following year and it starts over again.
b. Biennials (e.g. foxgloves, evening primrose). These germinate and grow the first year, then flower the second and produce seed, drop them etc. So you should have small seedlings of foxgloves growing from last year in the areas you had them, this year.
c. Perennials. (e.g. daisies, lady's smock, white clover) Once these have germinated (which can take a while) they keep returning year after year, until they get too old.
If you're trying to create a wildflower area, it's not as simple as putting some seeds in and leaving them to it as they can easily be swamped by other more vigorous plants and grasses. It does take careful management, but well worth the effort.

Milzy

Guru
These plants are mainly short-lived perennials, although if happy they will produce plenty of new sideshoots and self-seed freely.
Hope they come back next spring, had dozens of bees on them coming & going all day long.

Top Bottom