Gardening 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
@jowwy you need to investigate pruning plum trees. The growths you have are known as "water shoots." You'll get lots of strong growth, a tall tree and no plums.
I just checked the pruning instructions and its says to prune during winter when tree has no leaves and is doormant…..so thats a job for winter sorted.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Depending on where you live plums would usually be pruned in March/April.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Im high up in the welsh valleys, about 1600ft above sea level……
In which case I would guess at early April. I imagine spring comes late for you.

With all recommendations related to growing it's necessary to consider there is something like a three, possibly even four, week difference in the seasons across the UK.

jowwy

In which case I would guess at early April. I imagine spring comes late for you.

With all recommendations related to growing it's necessary to consider there is something like a three, possibly even four, week difference in the seasons across the UK.
yeh i learnt that more this year with the veg growing, friends lower down the valley was getting their vegs quite a few weeks before me……..also one of the reasons im getting the greenhouse built.

jowwy

Made use of some plastic shelving that i replaced in the man cave………will be able to use for plant trays and hardening off during next spring summer

will finish the guttering off over the next few days as im on 10days leave from tmrw and will be putting a water butt into that far corner, once i feather edge off the rear access to that end of the man cave.

jowwy

According to various sources, eg wikipedia the highest village in Wales is Trefil, at 409m /1342 feet above sea level.
my property is on the side of the mountian......and i can see trefil from were i live and i ride down the mountain to get to it, not all properties sit in a village, i also stated about 1600ft......so without going out with a meter rule and trying to get the exact height, i will stick to my estimate

Last edited:

jowwy

According to various sources, eg wikipedia the highest village in Wales is Trefil, at 409m /1342 feet above sea level.
my poperty looks down onto this town.......hence i said town not village, as brynmawr is the highest TOWN in wales

1629804707804.png

jowwy

More work in the garden today……..

harvested all the carrots, beans and beetroot

Cleaned out the big veg bed, ready for converting into the greenhouse

Then did the frame work ready for the polycarb to arrive for another small side greenhouse

I also put up a small section of feather edge fence between the man cave and fence so i can put the water butt there, to collect the rain of the man cave.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@dave r we get the same thing. In our garden it tends to be earlier in the season when our ornamental thistles are in flower. Bumble bees go crazy for the flowers and it's not unusual to see 4-5 on the same flower head climbing all over each other! At night a few stay behind and as you say appear to be asleep. I've been out in the morning after a night's rain to find sopping wet bumble bees still sat on the flowers.

Its why we want to have as many insect friendly plants in the garden as possible. Watching the bees is for me an absolute delight.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Disaster! Despite being (I thought) securely tied up, one of my Pink Brandywine plants has collapsed under the weight of the crop.
It was OK when I watered this morning. They may ripen on the window sill, with ripe tomatoes and bananas alongside.
We still have plenty of green tomato chutney from last year, so if they don't ripen they'll probably end up in a Portuguese-style cod/hake recipe.
View attachment 603803
Disaster averted! The good ole paper bag and bananas trick did the job.

Top Bottom