Gardening 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Disaster! Despite being (I thought) securely tied up, one of my Pink Brandywine plants has collapsed under the weight of the crop.
It was OK when I watered this morning. They may ripen on the window sill, with ripe tomatoes and bananas alongside.
We still have plenty of green tomato chutney from last year, so if they don't ripen they'll probably end up in a Portuguese-style cod/hake recipe.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Took delivery of my new Manual Cylinder mower today, so ive set it up at 40mm and now can give the grass a consistent cut every time and lower my carbon footprint at the same time......

jowwy

I had a disaster earlier, went down to the veg patch and all my brocolli had bolted, was gutted :sad:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I had a disaster earlier, went down to the veg patch and all my brocolli had bolted, was gutted :sad:
You can avoid this problem by growing your young plants on in 13cm pots. Plant out when there's a good rootball and 5-6 true leaves. Plant to a depth so the first true leaf is at soil level.

Growing this way also helps reduce problems with pests when the plants are young.

jowwy

You can avoid this problem by growing your young plants on in 13cm pots. Plant out when there's a good rootball and 5-6 true leaves. Plant to a depth so the first true leaf is at soil level.

Growing this way also helps reduce problems with pests when the plants are young.
i sowed directly into the ground, i dont have space for all the extra pots and pre-growing before hand.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Why have my tomatoes done this!?
Both varieties, in grow bags, one Moneymaker, t'other a couple of £1 pots from B&M.

Growing well, cropping heavily, but the bottoms are going mank when they're starting to ripen.

😔

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
View attachment 604046

Why have my tomatoes done this!?
Both varieties, in grow bags, one Moneymaker, t'other a couple of £1 pots from B&M.

Growing well, cropping heavily, but the bottoms are going mank when they're starting to ripen.

😔
Blossom end rot, generally caused by uneven watering. Plants growing in bags or pots are particularly susceptible to this, it means the plant can't take up enough (Calcium from memory) vitamin if the flow of water is interrupted. If you get the watering right the other toms won't be affected.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Blossom end rot, generally caused by uneven watering. Plants growing in bags or pots are particularly susceptible to this, it means the plant can't take up enough (Calcium from memory) vitamin if the flow of water is interrupted. If you get the watering right the other toms won't be affected.
I do try to keep them moist, and add some seaweed stuff once a week..

Fingers crossed 🤞

Milzy

Guru
Anybody selling any plants or shrubs? I’m after some aquatic plants at the moment.
What good plants should I place around my pond? Maybe we need a pond lovers thread?

jowwy

@jowwy you need to investigate pruning plum trees. The growths you have are known as "water shoots." You'll get lots of strong growth, a tall tree and no plums.
Yeh i need to take a look, of what i need to do with them…….

Top Bottom