Garmin 1030 users

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have bought a Garmin 1030 to act as a backup to my Wahoo Bolt. Setting up a Wahoo Bolt is a doddle in comparison to a Garmin.

Is there anyone in the group who uses a garmin 1030 on a regular basis? I would appreciate some advice regarding settings when making my own routes with RWGPS.

Easy, or should be.
https://ridewithgps.com/help/garmin-edge-1030

Create your route in RWGPS.
Save it and you get this screen

Click Send to device and you get this screen

Click Garmin Edge, make sure your unit is switched on and then sync.
That's what I do and it works every time.
If you don't upload immediately then you have to do it manually by downloading a .fit file and using a cable.
Lots of help on RWGPS site.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Transferring the routes is not the problem.

I made a RWGPS route on the PC. Mix of road and off road. I opened the route on the Wahoo Bolt and the same route on the Garmin 1030. The Bolt followed the route exactly. But the Garmin would not follow the off road sections and routed me on roads.

In routing on the unit, I had it set for mixed surface cycling. Should I change it to gravel cycling or Mountainbike? Or is there another solution?

si_c

Guru
I've noticed that a lot of RWGPS routes aren't actually proper routes, they're just waypoints. Devices with built-in waypoint navigation will consequently build their own route between the two points of a track so you don't follow the route as planned. I've had the same problems using a Mio (Cyclo 505) device so it's not particular to Garmin (both my 820 and 1030 plus do this), this is no problem on older devices which follow a breadcrumb type trail or just have an indicative path, but for devices which have a proper navigation function it's problematic.

The Wahoo devices generally (with a particular exception) dont' do on device re-routing and navigation so don't fall foul of this, and I think the Wahoo integration with RWGPS is better done so the planned route is used exactly. When transfering to different devices you're at the mercy of how the device interprets the generated route. For this reason I don't use RWGPS, it doesn't build usable routes when exported.

The best route builder I've found overall is the Strava route builder, it builds excellent routes that work perfectly with devices that have on-unit navigation (Cyclo 505, Edge 820/1030+), I've tried others as well as software on the computer to build routes, but none really work quite as well. Garmin's route building software is OK and produces good files, but the interface isn't as good to use as the one Strava have built.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Problem solved.

I changed it to Navigation - Routing - Gravel. It followed the route perfectly.

With regards to planning routes with RWGPS. I have never had a problem with the Wahoo and RWGPS routes. I have been using that combination for about 3 years. I did use Komoot for a while but found it took me in all sorts of places I did not want to be. I used RWGPS to get me across Bulgaria and I like how it is so easy edit it, add POIs and print out actual route cards and maps. I will be using it to get me across Sicily in April.

Top Bottom