Garmin 500 or 520

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
SWMBO is buying me a dedicated GPS unit for Crimbo.

I am looking at the Garmin 500 for £120 or the 520 stretching the budget at £180.

Can anyone who has upgraded tell me if the 520 is worth the extra?

Im looking for smaller device, i.e. half the size of an Iphone or less. The readout should include speed and distance, and the ability to navigate a pre-determined route would be good along with the capability to export to strava etc.

What is battery life like?

Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Check out DC Rainmaker's Garmin reviews.
He reviews both in depth. (inc. battery life)

It also has comparison tables.

Saw DC Rainmaker's review of the 520 the other night, he tells you how to put open source (free) colour maps on it IMO its worth it. Both can do what you are looking for Tom. I think the 520 does automatic wifi upload, that's not essential but cool if it does, its auto uploaded to Garmin Connect before you have your gloves off and if its linked to Strava, its on there before you even sit down. My mate has the 520, I think it claims 18hours battery life but check out DC's review :-)

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Love my 500, it does everything you need it to. That being said I still find it annoying to have to get the laptop out just to plug it in. Would love to have something like the 520 that sends the data straight to your mobile via Wi-Fi.
I'm just extra lazy tho

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A minor note, but the 520 communicates via Bluetooth, not wifi.

Personally, the 500 has reached end of life and the 520 still allegedly has some new functionality to come as well as the extra functionality it has now. I would be pushing for the 520. I have one and find it very good.

AFrightfulHobgoblin

Über Member
Lucky guy!

Personally, the 500 has reached end of life and the 520 still allegedly has some new functionality to come as well as the extra functionality it has now. I would be pushing for the 520. I have one and find it very good.

I upgraded 500 to 520 a couple of months ago, and I love it. Clearer, colour screen, ability to put a map on it, auto upload via phone, Strava segments, faster satellite lock. I tried a 510 and it was on ebay within a week, I didn't get on with it at all.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Lucky guy!

I upgraded 500 to 520 a couple of months ago, and I love it. Clearer, colour screen, ability to put a map on it, auto upload via phone, Strava segments, faster satellite lock. I tried a 510 and it was on ebay within a week, I didn't get on with it at all.

Funny you should say that my boss had a 510 and couldnt get on with it so sold it and got an 8xx but that's too big for my liking.

Check out DC Rainmaker's Garmin reviews.
He reviews both in depth. (inc. battery life)

It also has comparison tables.

Cheers I'll fetch the jaffas make a posh brew and have a mooch. Ive read a few reviews but few seem as good as these.
Never having had a GPS unit they can be a bit dry and meaningless.

I am leaning towards the 520 (and some OT)

Blurb

Über Member
How about the 520 for £172 shipped from Canyon. Says it's only a 24 hour special though!
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessories/#category=specials&subcat=T011&id=59282

huwsparky

Über Member
520 more bling, but 500 will do everything you need and cost £60 less.

No one can make this decision other than the OP. The 500 is still a solid unit just looks a bit dated next to the latest and greatest.

Buck

Guru
If it helps, I went for the 520 - bought from Chain Reaction (Wiggle were the same price but out of stock) as it is on a really good price at the moment (IIRC £176 for the 520 or £220 with the sensors etc.)

Excellent bit of kit although I admit I have not yet realised its full potential.

potsy

Rambler
If it helps, I went for the 520 - bought from Chain Reaction (Wiggle were the same price but out of stock) as it is on a really good price at the moment (IIRC £176 for the 520 or £220 with the sensors etc.)

Excellent bit of kit although I admit I have not yet realised its full potential.
I have one in my basket currently, just procrastinating a little ^_^

Top Bottom