Garmin 500...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haye13

So for the passed 3 weeks I have been asked constantly what do I want for Christmas. I went to my local go outdoors and they had a Garmin 500, Cadence sensor and Premium heart rate monitor. Is this a good deal?

Is the Garmin 500 any good?

Freds Dad

Veteran
How much is it? Only then can someone tell you if it's a good deal.

vickster

Legendary Member
How much is it elsewhere?

Whether it's good, it depends what you want it for and what else could the £170 buy you

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personally happy with mine. Thought about a Garmin with route capabilities, but then decided the times I would use that facility was limited. Don't know what the price differential is currently but at the time those with with route capabilities and the HR and cadence monitors were a lot more expensive.
I quite like looking at a road and thinking "Hmm where does that lead me to?" and letting my legs sort out whatever mileage results. On the odd occasion my legs have said "Bugger this", there are the map facilties on my 'phone to get me home directly.
Been the odd time I would have liked a real time map to follow, but not often.
If you are planning on rides that require you to get from A to C via B one with a real time route planner might be useful, but mine are generally from home and back or drive somewhere ride then back to the car.
If you get one with a cadence sensor, don't rely on the zip tie in the box. DAMHIKT

dim

I have a Garmin 500 that came with my latest bike .... it has the cadence sensor and speed magnet (not sure why you need the magnet sensor as it uses satelites to work out your speed)

I've created a few courses, but don't really get on with the 500 and will be buying a 1000 at the end of the month

firstly, it uses 'breadcrumb' mapping .... it does not show side roads, and is merely a black line. If you take a wrong turn, you get a message / beep saying 'off course' .... when you turn back, you are still 'off course' until you find where you went wrong and carry on riding in the same direction.... you can only plan and use routes that you download from your computer beforehand (i.e. you cannot punch in a postcode etc like on a car satnav)

the screen is too small for me. But saying that, many people who I follow on Strava are still using these. I'm old and get lost easy. Suppose it's ok if you know the area reasonably well and just want to use it in case you take a wrong turn

I need something that works similar to a car TomTom .... punch in a postcode and it will take you there.... or if you take a wrong turn and continue, it will reroute you, or you go for a long ride without using the mapping and when you get halfway, click the 'take me home' button and it will work out the route.

some people really like the 520 ....

for £169.97 that you are looking to pay for a 500, you could possibly get a used 520 or even a better model than the 520 off ebay?

Last edited:

Sixmile

Veteran
I have been using a 500 for the guts of a year now. I got a refurbished unit from CRC for £80 (with warranty) and it hasn't missed a beat. I have used it for navigation on 100 mile rides and bar the turns sometimes being a second or two out, it has been great for the money. I don't think I'd be paying over £100 for one though.

Top Bottom