Garmin 510 Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Got my Garmin 510 on Friday and tested properly today. Set up CopyMySports to sun from Garmin Connect to Strava but it wouldn't work. Then noticed that the ride was set to Only Me. Changed to Everyone and then worked a treat.

Did a brief test again and defaulted back to Only Me. Is there any way to set the Garmin or the App to default to Only Me?

Aside from that, its a great bit if kit. Has anyone noticed that the stats are different to the iPhone though? Specifically the Elevation figures? I have climbed 900ft according to Garmin after uploading, but only 307ft from the Strava App on iPhone. Any ideas?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Elevation correction. Most things will be different, purpose devices vs devices that do a job always have them

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Ok. So what you're saying is that the iPhone will be correcting itself when uploading to Strava, but the Garmin won't, as its correct to start with as is the proper tool for the job?

Does Strava try and correct the Garmin at all?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Just checked, and the same Activity through Garmin Connect App shows 551ft gain, but when synced to Strava it shows 900ft. How come?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Decided to delete the synced ride from Strava and upload via USB instead. Now Garmin Connect and Strava match the Garmin itself at 551ft. iPhone had this ride at 310ft or so, but that's down to Strava correction. I think I trust the Garmin the most and will either upload to Strava via USB or toy with the export function in GC and see how the file uploads manually.

The iphone only records data every 5secs and you can be all over the place on a bike in that time but elevation varies significantly on all platforms, web sites, etc. I find GC is lower than Strava unless I autocorrect GC but I use a 800 with barometric altimeter.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Fair enough. Doesn't explain the difference between the same file uploaded to GC and then sync'ed to Strava though. Which matched perfectly when I just uploaded direct to Strava from the Garmin.

Top Bottom