Garmin 520 v 810?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dibs

Veteran
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my GPS unit shortly and seemed to have settled on either the 520 or 810 from Garmin.

520 is newer so presumably more up to date. 810 seems to have better maps.

I'm leaning towards the 520 as the bundle is cheaper by about £40.

Anyone on here got and insight into either unit?

Ta.

Crandoggler

I have a 520 and it pretty much measures everything you'd want to know.

Courses wise, accurate directions and a good map view. Can change the screen back to data and still get turn notifications.

I haven't used the Strava live segments yet, but will do when back home.

I think the 810 was more for Navigation. But if you know where you're going, or want to follow someone else's course, it's very good.

Personally, I'd choose the 520.

Zeffer

Love my 520. Uploaded maps as per dcrainmakers instructions so I could follow routes with ease. Live segments worked with no effort (so long as Garmin Connect is linked to Strava). Rides automatically upload. Reliable GPS and all my devices connected easily.

Never owned an 810 though so can't compare.

Jaykun85

i have the 810 unit, only got it cos i was impatient to wait for the 520 :tongue: I find it really good for me battery life and navigation are good used them a few times.
I think its just personal preference they all do the same thing :smile: but if i where to get a new one would probably bee the 520 as looks sleeker :tongue:

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
I have the 810 having looked at the 520.

Being able to swipe the screen for different pages in winter gloves is handy. I also might want to add maps as I mountain bike a bit, but honestly, I got a good price on the HRM/cadence/spped bundle otherwise I'd have had the 520.

They're all good.

Russell

Buck

Guru
Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my GPS unit shortly and seemed to have settled on either the 520 or 810 from Garmin.

520 is newer so presumably more up to date. 810 seems to have better maps.

I'm leaning towards the 520 as the bundle is cheaper by about £40.

Anyone on here got and insight into either unit?

Ta.

I went through the the same decision as you and ended up with the 520. Here's a few things to think of:-

- 520 has newer technology (internals)
- 520 uses both GPS and GLONASS satellite technology
- 810 is a bigger screen and touch whereas 520 is smaller and uses buttons
- 810 is more for routes and mapping
- 810 uses older sensors (cadence and speed)
- 520 is more of a cycle computer than a satnav/route mapping device
- 520 can have maps uploaded as per @Zeffer 's post
- 520 uploads automatically when you finish a ride (via your phone)

I don't regret getting the 520 - it's a smart bit of kit and in a nice compact bundle. Key for me was deciding if I primarily needing mapping (which I didn't) where the 800/810/1000 are much better.
The newer technology and also smaller form factor swung it for me and so far, I've been very happy with it.

broady

Veteran
I was thinking 520, 810 or 1000, but been offered a 800 for £175 with sensors etc.
They seem to be selling for around that figure on ebay auctions for just the unit and mounts.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The new sensors work just fine with an 810 as I use them, also 810 upload rides auto wise via the phone, think the 1000 uses wifi when it can?? Really main difference is mapping and bigger screen. Not sure what i would do now if buying, bought my 810 a year ago before the new models came out, 520 does offer similar to what I was looking for at the time.

OP
OP
Dibs

Dibs

Veteran
Thanks all. I went for the 520 and it arrived today. Still need to get out on the bike, but I'm loving the look of it already. Sensors all fitted to both bikes ready for the year ahead!

Do you find that the sensors are secure enough using the rubber bands @Buck ?

Buck

Guru
Thanks all. I went for the 520 and it arrived today. Still need to get out on the bike, but I'm loving the look of it already. Sensors all fitted to both bikes ready for the year ahead!

Do you find that the sensors are secure enough using the rubber bands @Buck ?

Yes, no problems so far - I do check them when I celan the bike (after most rides) and so far so good. The cadence sensor is on the crank arm with two bands so doubly secure! i guess you could add some double sided foam tape to give a little more security if needs be?

The speed sensor on the hub is a thick rubber band so should be pretty indestructible!

Top Bottom