Garmin 530 probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I realise that this might sound trite but have you tried turning it off and on again? I mean holding the top left button until you get the menu options of 'Sleep', Set Bike Alarm' and 'Power Off' (and powering off). I had a problem with my 530 not changing to BST; I tried several things suggested on Garmin help pages, forums etc. - mostly on the line of plugging into PC, checking for updates and also rewriting system files. After loads of plugging in, resyncs, firmware checks but before getting ready to rewrite system files, I came across a post suggesting the power off and on - which I thought I had already done - but I was merely putting it in and out of sleep mode. It did the trick for me.

That's one of the things I've found annoying with the 530 interface, the button functions being unintuitive, and the on/off button default options.

That's one of the things I've found annoying with the 530 interface, the button functions being unintuitive, and the on/off button default options.

But when you hit the power button doesn't it come up with the options on screen ? And you scroll to what you want to do ?
I've had mine a few years now and only snoozed it once instead of powering it off.

freiston

Veteran
But when you hit the power button doesn't it come up with the options on screen ? And you scroll to what you want to do ?
I've had mine a few years now and only snoozed it once instead of powering it off.

When I (momentarily) press the power button, it bleeps once and goes to sleep (or wakes up). I have to press and hold it for a few seconds to get the power off menu. If it has been asleep for some time, I get the Garmin splash screen before the "full wake up" - so it looks a bit like booting up.

Tenkaykev

Guru
When I (momentarily) press the power button, it bleeps once and goes to sleep (or wakes up). I have to press and hold it for a few seconds to get the power off menu. If it has been asleep for some time, I get the Garmin splash screen before the "full wake up" - so it looks a bit like booting up.

I suppose it is because I don't use it everyday. To my thinking if I press the off button the first option should be " off "
The placement of the " confirm " and " back " buttons also seems back to front to me. I was frequently pressing " back " instead of " confirm " .
I suppose I haven't developed the muscle memory.

I suppose it is because I don't use it everyday. To my thinking if I press the off button the first option should be " off "
The placement of the " confirm " and " back " buttons also seems back to front to me. I was frequently pressing " back " instead of " confirm " .

It is a faff to operate on the go - especially in gloves and I have mine in a silicon case - but I guess it has to be robust more than anything else.

freiston

Veteran
I'm often pressing the wrong buttons too. A common error for me is pressing the sleep button instead of the scroll up button. I also get the two buttons on the right mixed up too - pressing the forward/confirm button for back and the back button for forward/confirm.

I have a silicone case too but stopped using it some time ago as the scroll down button on my unit is a bit iffy and the case made it worse.

I agree - on the go operation is truly a faff and map browsing is a nightmare whether on the go or not. I've had the odd occasion when the device hasn't given me a turn direction, causing me to go off route. The map visible on the screen can be too far off route for me to see to get back. What I tend to do now is to load the GPX onto Osmand on my phone and use that if I need to browse the map. This isn't really duplication as the Garmin is a much better navigation device than the phone but it's a hopeless map browsing device.

Addendum: in unfamiliar territory, I now tend to leave the map screen on so that I can see my planned route and make sure I follow it.

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
I realise that this might sound trite but have you tried turning it off and on again? I mean holding the top left button until you get the menu options of 'Sleep', Set Bike Alarm' and 'Power Off' (and powering off). I had a problem with my 530 not changing to BST; I tried several things suggested on Garmin help pages, forums etc. - mostly on the line of plugging into PC, checking for updates and also rewriting system files. After loads of plugging in, resyncs, firmware checks but before getting ready to rewrite system files, I came across a post suggesting the power off and on - which I thought I had already done - but I was merely putting it in and out of sleep mode. It did the trick for me.

Not trite at all. The wretched thing started doing odd things over a month ago & doing just that did seem to sort most things - just not all.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Can you confirm that?

Jenkins

Legendary Member

I find myself having to unlearn the button functions I'm used to from the 520 and 130 I've been using up to now as those on the 530 have different functions.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Just afore I head for my pit, are there peeps wise in the way of Garmin.
My 530 is refusing to connect to my heart monitor and cadence monitor. I have changed their batteries but no luck. The other day it read them but didn't measure distance and speed.
I have tried plugging it into the pc in the hope it will look for firmware updates but not a sausage.
Is the 530 knackered? its only a couple of years old.
Thanks for any wisdom that appears overnight and later

The best Garmin problem solution I found was to buy a Wahoo. Never fails.

Mike_P

Guru
Having a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt V1 and a 530 the Bolt is far easier to use but the 530 should do more. However it's menu system seems to be the work of a computer geek who has no sense of making things simple including relating the commands to the relevant button. Hence I am usually scared I am going to delete something by mistake while some of the on off settings appear to have the opposite meaning to normal. Telling it No to U turn direction does not work in cancelling that being displayed IME so maybe that should be Yes :banghead:

Top Bottom