Garmin 60CSx Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbelier

Help!

I'm setting off for my first JOGLE in a few days and tried to load all the final route up onto my Garmin 60CSx over the weekend.

I have about 20 routes covering the whole 1,100 trip all with less than the 250 waypoint limit per route.

I am using the export function from Mapyx Quo and that works fine. I am using export to GPS device via Garmin USB and loading waypoint, route and tracks.

However, after I have loaded more than 4 days it displays "Waypoint Memory Full" on the Garmin. This I assume is because it is exceeding the 1,000 waypoint total. I know from past experience that once this happens it will not display or follow the route for all routes loaded after the "Waypoint Memory Full" message was displayed.

It seems to be loading all the waypoints into memory as soon as you transfer the file even though you are not navigating any of these routes. Why does it do this? According to the manual you can up to 50 routes, each with a limit of 250 waypoints.

There is a delete waypoint option under Find, but you can either delete these individually or all. If you delete all every route loaded onto the GPS is also deleted!

Surely there must be a way of only loading into memory the waypoints for the route you are actually navigating, instead of all routes loaded onto the device?

My ideas about possible solutions:

- Is there another way of loading the routes to the GPS other than using export which would not load all the waypoints into memory? Maybe using the USB mass storage option. I tried this but couldn't find a way to load the routes.
- Is there an option somewhere on the device to only load into memory the route you are navigating? I couldn't find one.
- By loading waypoints, route and tracks I am causing the problem?

I would really appreciate your help. I don't fancy navigating 1,100 miles using paper maps, especially after all the effort I have put into planning the routes!

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

Sadly no response or solution.

There must be a way of doing this since Garmin GPS units are used all the time for long trips. The Garmin manual is of no use and the various forums where this topic comes up are either confusing or just plain wrong (I know because I spent 3 hrs last night following various suggestions without sucess).

amaferanga

Veteran
My understanding of the waypoint limit is that there's an absolute limit of 1000. So you can have up to 4 routes with 250 waypoints each or up to 50 routes each with 20 waypoints.

But then there are also routepoints which I think have a much higher limit. This may be what you are looking for.

FWIW I did LEJOG last year with a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx and used tracks to navigate with. You obviously don't get turn warnings, but its still very easy to follow and very difficult to get lost. You could have your whole journey as a single track if you give it the name ACTIVE LOG.

10,000 waypoints for a 1100 mile route does seem rather excessive though.

OP
OP
Barbelier

Barbelier

My understanding of the waypoint limit is that there's an absolute limit of 1000. So you can have up to 4 routes with 250 waypoints each or up to 50 routes each with 20 waypoints.

But then there are also routepoints which I think have a much higher limit. This may be what you are looking for.

FWIW I did LEJOG last year with a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx and used tracks to navigate with. You obviously don't get turn warnings, but its still very easy to follow and very difficult to get lost. You could have your whole journey as a single track if you give it the name ACTIVE LOG.

10,000 waypoints for a 1100 mile route does seem rather excessive though.
I really appreciate the response.

I have been trying to do this, but without success based on various forums and bits of info I have found (probably something simple I am missing!).

I have roughly 20 routes covering the 1,100 miles with up to 250 waypoints in each so the total is less than 4,000.

Would you mind telling exactly how you create the ACTIVE LOG?
I am using the export function in Mapyx Quo, but I assume the same process applies to MapSource or most other mapping software.

Many thanks

PpPete

Legendary Member
Like amerferanga I used tracks (as opposed to routes)
You'd think a track would use more detail wouldn't you!

Created them on bikehike, then used options to get each of the 20 tracks down to under 500 trackpoints, then used mapsource to send them to the Legend HCx (and the OH's Vista)

Evidently didn't exceed the limit on the number of trackpoints....

You can maybe upload each route onto bikehike - and then download them as tracks ?

amaferanga

Veteran
Would you mind telling exactly how you create the ACTIVE LOG?

I'm not familiar with the software you're using, but most of the software I have used allows easy conversion of routes -> tracks. Memorymap for example allows you to do this. All you need then is to create a single track of your entire journey and name it ACTIVE LOG before copying it over to your Garmin.

I should add that I've never done this as I've always been happy to split my rides up into <500 point tracks. It'd probably be just as easy for you to plot the tracks in bikehike (it's pretty quick as you can use the follow road option) and save your journey as several 500 point tracks.

MockCyclist

Only just spotted this, and a bit late for the OP, but:

The 60CSx manual says that it will store 50 routes of up to 250 points each. It won't.

If you create routes in Garmin MapSource and make sure every routepoint is planted on a map feature, you might manage to a upload routes with a total of about 6000 routepoints.

If you create routes in some other software, you'll be lucky if you can upload 4000 routepoints in total.

Top Bottom