Garmin 705 broke - replacement off Garmin or upgrade to 800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I have a Garmin 705. It got squished on saturday. The unit still turns on and uploads rides, but the screen is mashed (I can see the backlight come on when the unit powers up and sometimes hear the sounds it makes when i press start/stop for example).

I have a HRM and cadence sensor as well as the European mapping. These are all fully intact.

I've just phoned Garmin. They don't fix the units, but simply replace. Cost is £102.12. I send it off and turnaround for the new unit is 5 working days. The new unit comes with a 90 day warranty.

Question is - do I use this opportunity to upgrade. A quick scan of the web I can see I could pick up an 800 for £255.

Thoughts?

Seems to me that for an extra £153 I get an additional 270 days warranty, but in terms of functionality I see little difference between the models?

Does the cadence & HRM work with an 800 from a 705?

Can the 800 be bought cheaper than £255?

Can the 705 be fixed for less than £100?

Note: I will be ordering one/sending back today as I am an impatient bugger.^_^

Zakalwe

I'd probably think about an upgrade, after a few minutes decide that there's nothing to gain from the newer model, get a replacement from Garmin and consider the extra 150 quid to be money "saved" thereby justifying the purchase of something else for about that amount.

Happy shopping :biggrin:

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
I'd probably think about an upgrade

Tick

, after a few minutes decide that there's nothing to gain from the newer model, get a replacement from Garmin and consider the extra 150 quid to be money "saved" thereby justifying the purchase of something else for about that amount.

Happy shopping :biggrin:

Almost tick -:laugh:

A few more hours needed (until lunch time anyway..)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The 800 is a swish unit a few in the club use them and they are pretty good (I have never really looked at the 705) and the touch screen works well through gloves it seems, but it might not really offer you anything new other than touch screen! If you like your current unit, I would get it replaced. If you were already itching to upgrade and looking for a reason, now is the time.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I understand the map view and guidance are better than the 705? That alone would tempt me, that and I think it looks nice.... oh and I love new boxed electrical kit arriving through the post. Would hate to spend £100+ and just end up with what I had already..

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There are strong rumours that Garmin will be launching a new Edge before Christmas...I'd go for the repair rather than stumping up the extra for an 800 and then kicking myself when the new one comes out.

amaferanga

Veteran
There are strong rumours that Garmin will be launching a new Edge before Christmas...I'd go for the repair rather than stumping up the extra for an 800 and then kicking myself when the new one comes out.

I've not heard these rumours, but I'd expect a replacement for the Edge 500 (i.e. no mapping, touch screen) and not a replacement for the Edge 800.

Top Bottom