Garmin 705

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tombo 707

I am looking at buying a Garmin 705 for touring. I know B.F.T.B was looking for a GPS for touring. Which gps would be suited for touring.

Will1985

Über Member
The 705 is the dog's b0ll0cks - does everything you could dream of...
It really depends what you want out of it. If you want mapping or heart rate, you're looking at the 605 or 705; if you want cadence, 705.
For touring, it probably boils down to the length of your tours and how much memory the unit has as standard if you can't download it every night - the 705 could probably record several thousand km with an extra card.

As I think jimboalee has also shown, the battery life of any unit can easily be extended with a Power Monkey.

aqaleigh

i have been looking at gps and the likes for several months now and having exhausted every cycle shops knowledge on the subject, I have now decided to take the plunge and buy the 705, it is a fantastic piece of kit but i can only tell you this from my experience of playing with it in shops and not actually using it on the bike
I should have it up and running within the next 4/7 days (order time) if you're still looking i'll let you know how i get on

andym

Über Member
The 705 is a fantastic piece of kit - but it's designed primarily for training not touring. Unless you want the training features for training, or you really have to have an integrated HRM and cadence meter for touring, you could save yourself a lot of money by buying something like a eTrex Legend HCx at £130 quid. If you go to the Garmin site you'll see the spec is either the same, or better (eg number of waypoints stored). Garmin do a very good bike mount for the eTrex series.

If you want a more in depth article have a look at this one on crazyguyonabike.com.

MockCyclist

Will1985 said:
... the 705 could probably record several thousand km with an extra card...

Does the 705 save routes to the card? The spec just says "Routes: Limited by memory space available"

My Garmin saves routes to the internal memory space and in fact, does not have the capacity that the specification states. Being able to store routes on a removable card could remove a limitation.

andym

Über Member
Tombo 707 said:
I train with my cycle club,time trial and tour so I think the 705 should cover it all I think. I orderd one yesterday.

A bit of a pointless post then.

I missed this - The Edge are not brilliant for touring.

Firstly they do not converse with most of the mapping programs as the "CRS" and TCX" files are unique to Garmin. You need an intermediary to convert to "GPX" and then use this file to communicate.

Secondly I hope they have sorted this out with the 705, but with my 305 if the total time exceeds 18 hours (easily on a tour) then the data corrupts and you get gobbledegook:

Road26-10-2008.jpg

All in all - fine if you are daily training or commuting and can download daily, but no good for touring.

Top Bottom