Garmin 800 - Will it last a 300k Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

I used a Gomadic (not the one linked, an older model) for many years with my 305. Did the job well. I would remark though that they aren't the most robust bit of kit ever made, mine eventually died on the road during PBP. I'd imagine prolonged road vibrations etc saw it off. That said, it had a good run and they are cheap enough to be considered disposable.

Edit: a point to note, some of the original Gomadic's didn't take rechargeables, std alkalines yes but not rechargeables. Rechargeables are (or were perhaps) ever so slightly bigger and wouldn't fit properly inside the unit. I don't know if that is true of the newer models though.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Just placed an order for a Portapow plus 3 way cable and felt bag :smile:

Cheers people

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
The Portapow charger worked great. I plugged it in after 5 hours - kept it in for one stage of around 3 hours- and after another 3 hour stage it still looked fully charged.

zacklaws

Guru
I do long rides quite often, and if you take the advice from the other posters you should have no problem, but when I do partake of such a lenghty ride then I do carry a power supply as sometimes your battery life can die quickly unexpectantly, especcially if your in unfamilar territory and you have to keep checking the map as a reassurance.

Recently though, I have started using the OSM map (for UK) from the following site and favour it now over all my other OSM maps:-

https://sites.google.com/site/openfietsmap/downloads/europe

and one of the things that I have noticed is my battery drain life has improved, and also using mapsource I do not install the whole of the UK but just the areas that I ride in predominantly, so even that in itself may help by not having to load into memory a lot of unneeded data. I do know that the OS discovery maps gobble up power and also using automotive view does as well.

Top Bottom