GARMIN 810 questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bubbles3

I'm in the process of planning a solo charity cycle ride and I'm considering buying a garmin sat nav for the bike as my sense of direction is a disaster. My questions are
How easy is it to plan routes on the maps?
Is it possible to plan ahead and store your planned route (around 400 miles in total)?
having never used one would any regular users recommend this one?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Easy do it beforehand from the comfort of your pc
Yes but probably better to plan in chunks or a per day basis. That way if anything happens to corrupt you're not stuck
Absolutely

PS: What's the tour? NI/IRL I'm assuming?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

Easy do it beforehand from the comfort of your pc
Yes but probably better to plan in chunks or a per day basis. That way if anything happens to corrupt you're not stuck
Absolutely

PS: What's the tour? NI/IRL I'm assuming?

Thanks for the info. I'll most likely go for one.
My plan is to cycle round NI and raise money for two charities, they are local charity Nexus NI and The Alzheimer's Society (particularly research). Hope to do it in 6 days, I've never had long day after long day in the saddle so it will certainly be a challenge. Things very much in the early planning stage. just completed a rough planned route on google maps last night. both charities are aware of my plan so it's def happening. Hope to do it in August.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I wouldn't entertain a long ride without the garmin

Awesome bit of kit.

Don't believe me, then read the post script at the foot of day two.( day two not post two)
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/lands-end-to-john-ogroats.155855/

Very simple to program, doesn't just show directions, turns, location and the like, also records all my rides, gives me stacks of stats like speed distance to end, average speed, cadence and will,even show me the elevation of the ride to come, so I can see if a big hill,is coming.

Would be lost without it.

Mines the 800 which does everything I need.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info. I'll most likely go for one.
My plan is to cycle round NI and raise money for two charities, they are local charity Nexus NI and The Alzheimer's Society (particularly research). Hope to do it in 6 days, I've never had long day after long day in the saddle so it will certainly be a challenge. Things very much in the early planning stage. just completed a rough planned route on google maps last night. both charities are aware of my plan so it's def happening. Hope to do it in August.
Feel free to check out the rest of that blog, you may find the training hints at the end helpful and also my thoughts on the repetition of daily riding.

Good luck, sounds like a fantastic challenge...I was very scared of leJog and since doing it I've gone on to do a few more big rides ...it's an amazing feeling to conquer big miles day after day.

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

Feel free to check out the rest of that blog, you may find the training hints at the end helpful and also my thoughts on the repetition of daily riding.

Good luck, sounds like a fantastic challenge...I was very scared of leJog and since doing it I've gone on to do a few more big rides ...it's an amazing feeling to conquer big miles day after day.

Thanks for that. i will definitely check out your blog. I'm a complete novice so I need all the tips I can get regarding the training.

Top Bottom