Garmin 810 Routing Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
I finally took the plunge and bought a Garmin 810 from Amazon, on the basis that it would be easy to return if the routing was as rubbish as many people seem to think:smile: Having read several posts on how to set it up for turn by turn navigation, it generally seems to work well. However, there is one niggle that I can't overcome yet.

If I let the 810 plan the route by selecting a destination from the Garmin I get nice turn by turn instructions, with big arrows at road junctions, the screen zooms in and I get a notification several yards before the junction. However, if I create a route using ridewithgps, I don't get these turn by turn instructions, only a little pop up at the bottom of the screen that is the cue sheet. Also the map doesn't zoom to show the detail of the junction. I get similar results by downloading a route from Garmin Connect. I am downloading the map as a tcx file, which should contain the turn by turn instructions. So is this a feature of using downloaded routes, or am I doing something wrong?

Make sure before you start the course that using the settings (spanner) icon that
Turn Guidance is set to On
Map Display Button then
Always Djsplay is set to On
&
Course
Points is set to On
Works for me with routes generated from RideWithGPS or Garmin

Broadside

Guru
I finally took the plunge and bought a Garmin 810 from Amazon, on the basis that it would be easy to return if the routing was as rubbish as many people seem to think:smile: Having read several posts on how to set it up for turn by turn navigation, it generally seems to work well. However, there is one niggle that I can't overcome yet.

If I let the 810 plan the route by selecting a destination from the Garmin I get nice turn by turn instructions, with big arrows at road junctions, the screen zooms in and I get a notification several yards before the junction. However, if I create a route using ridewithgps, I don't get these turn by turn instructions, only a little pop up at the bottom of the screen that is the cue sheet. Also the map doesn't zoom to show the detail of the junction. I get similar results by downloading a route from Garmin Connect. I am downloading the map as a tcx file, which should contain the turn by turn instructions. So is this a feature of using downloaded routes, or am I doing something wrong?

Download the course as s GPX, this just contains the route without turn info, the Garmin will then work out the turn info.

Providing you have switched turn guidance on as @Nigel182 says then it should be fine. On my Edge 800 you have to activate turn guidance every time because it defaults to off.

If you want to follow a planned route exactly I would also advise switching route auto recalculation off otherwise the Garmin may start mucking about with the route if it momentarily thinks you are off course which will happen from time to time.

Download the course as s GPX, this just contains the route without turn info, the Garmin will then work out the turn info.

Providing you have switched turn guidance on as @Nigel182 says then it should be fine. On my Edge 800 you have to activate turn guidance every time because it defaults to off.

If you want to follow a planned route exactly I would also advise switching route auto recalculation off otherwise the Garmin may start mucking about with the route if it momentarily thinks you are off course which will happen from time to time.

@Broadside Nice tip about the GPX will try that one out

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Make sure before you start the course that using the settings (spanner) icon that

Works for me with routes generated from RideWithGPS or Garmin

Thanks, I hadn't realized that you could change settings on a per course basis. I had just set up the global options. I have now worked out how to set the options per course and will remember turn the turn by turn guidance on every time. However, I haven't had time to try it out yet, so will report back once I know it works.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Been using mine and it does seem to work most of the time but there are occasions where it misses a turn?? These are course I've made on strava so thought it maybe that?? When it works it works well to be fair , it maybe that I've been going to quick for it to update in time?

Top Bottom