Garmin 820 or 1000?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bondirob

I'm in the market for a new GPS just wondered if anyone had any experience of these two?
As far as I can tell the only real difference is size.

I've used the 1000 for about a year now. It's an excellent unit. It's biggest strength in my opinion is the large screen which makes navigation a breeze...I can happily download a route into 'unknown' territory and rely on it to guide me around. However that is also a weakness, getting 8 hours out of it can be a real struggle relying on careful management of settings etc. and I put that down to the large screen.

mattobrien

Guru
I've recently ordered an 820, it is yet to Rrive so I can't offer any hands on opinion. Why not take a look at the DC Rainmaker reviews of both.

I didn't want a 1000 as I would have to change the out front mounts on three bikes, so that would be the best part of £80. I also preferred the size of the 820 over the 1000.

I'm hoping it will arrive tomorrow, after which it will be put through its paces.

OP
OP
B

bondirob

Thanks for.the advice, JE James were offering the 820 for £250 so I nipped down and compared it along side the 1000. I quite liked the look of it so I ordered one.
Couldn't pass up on a deal like that:smile:

dim

a few tips on the Garmins (here's the section for the 820:

frequent the Garmin forum often and learn from others as regards setting them up, and ask questions on the Garmin forum if you are unsure.:
https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?591-Edge-820

don't download any new software until it's been tested .... Garmin often fix one problem, then another problem is encountered

I have the Edge 1000 ....
when I received it, the icon showing the turn by turn direction was off screen. This was a software bug, and a few days later, a new version of software was available to download. It fixed the issue, but now the 1000 has a habit of switching off a few times during a ride (not a big problem, as when you switch it back on, all the data for your ride is still there).... Garmin say that they will be releasing a new version of the software soon (I will wait before downloading)

There are a few settings that will give you more battery life if you plan to do rides longer than 6-8 hrs. Alternatively, you can purchase a portable power pack (there are small ones as big as a lipstick). If you purchase one of these, you have to make sure that the USB cable that you buy allows you to charge the Garmin while you are riding (some USB cables don't allow this)

I use ridewithgps.com (the free version) to plan my routes (in conjunction with Strava Heatmaps). RidewithGps is brilliant as you can drag the little yello google man onto the roads and see a pic of what the road looks like

You can also search google for cycling clubs in your area and check which routes they recommend

Last edited:

dim

Thanks for the advice:smile:

pleasure .... now start saving up for the Garmin Varia Radar unit :okay:

(you only need the rear radar light and not the display unit as the radar light links directly to your Edge)

I paid £100 for mine on Amazon Prime when it was the black friday sale ..... best bit of kit that I have bought this year

OP
OP
B

bondirob

pleasure .... now start saving up for the Garmin Varia Radar unit :okay:

(you only need the rear radar light and not the display unit as the radar light links directly to your Edge)

I paid £100 for mine on Amazon Prime when it was the black friday sale ..... best bit of kit that I have bought this year

I'll look into it but £100 seems a lot for a back light

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I'm in the market for a new GPS just wondered if anyone had any experience of these two?
As far as I can tell the only real difference is size.
Main difference is size - the 820 is edge 1000 features packed into a 520 case with a small user interface change(although the 1000 can be modified with connect iq apps)

I have a 1000, and wrote the pretty huge 800 guide for this very forum. If I was buying today I'd buy the 820, but not because the 1000 is bad/problematic (because mine at least hasn't been) but for size and battery life. I'd be of the opinion that the larger screen is not the best idea for a cycle gps computer that may be relied on to get you home, the 1000's battery life doesn't compete with the runtime I had on the 800.

e-rider

crappy member
the 820 still has bugs and the screen is reported to be poor/none working touch screen when raining
the 1000 is more established but it's big!

Flyboy

Aldi had the 810 for £139 just before Xmas , I would see if you can get in touch with them for their next deal.

Top Bottom