Garmin battery replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The battery in my Forerunner 305, now 4 years old, is slowly getting worse. So, I've seen online how to replace it myself, doesn't look too onerous, though you do have to prise the unit apart but total cost is about 8 quid. Or, Garmin will replace the unit in an exchange for 58 quid, which is good but I could keep most of that money to buy a better unit in the future which @T.M.H.N.E.T has promised to donate too :smile:

What to do: Anyone done a repair on any unit they've had or just gone down the exchange route?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Luckily for me I only pledged 1euro which at todays rate will cost me 84 of the Queens pennies

:cheers:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

So I waited until it got so bad it became unusable. It went downhill suddenly so not even 15 minutes of life. At that point nothing to lose as it was a case of repair or replace.

I followed the instructions here and the video here

Bought the battery off ebay, got some loctite plastic glue and the rest I had. As noted in the instructions above, the case came apart at the bottom easiest, though it's hard not to bend the plastic slightly when doing this.

Hardest part was joining the wires, time and care required at that point but once I'd done it, I put it on the charging cradle and it all worked.

It's currently glued and cable tied but is working. I shall let you know how it's first use goes on Monday. I suppose the concern is whether it's still waterproof from rain but I suspect it is as the glue seal was pretty feeble in the first place and I'm sure I've made a better seal now but we'll see. Like I say, if it doesn't work, I've not really lost anything but the cost of battery and glue.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Well I'm pleased to say it's all working well. Only 45 minutes today but it used to do over 10 hours, so hopefully it's back to that kind of longevity but it'll be much later in the year before I find out.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Saves me a euro
Only if I don't get a better unit in the future! You're still on the list.

Top Bottom