Garmin connect problems ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, I had minor problems on Sunday. On PC using browser. First it wouldn't sign in (just went to a blank page with "SSO" somewhere in the URL). Tried again and it went to a page with the message "Oops we crashed'.

Then third time lucky it worked ok.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Does the Garmin system work well with a PC/ laptop? I am asking because what has been putting me off getting a Garmin was the assumption that it was only designed to work with a Smartphone. I had a bad experience with a Huawei sports watch which would only work with an Android phone. I would rather not depend on a phone for setting up and downloading routes etc.

What I had in mind was something that gives you the functions of a basic bike computer plus a simple clear sat nav (no touch screen etc) preferably with a user replaceable battery with a good life. Maybe the wrong thread, asking for the moon on a stick, but there are most likely posters with the relevant knowledge watching this topic.

C R

Guru
Does the Garmin system work well with a PC/ laptop? I am asking because what has been putting me off getting a Garmin was the assumption that it was only designed to work with a Smartphone. I had a bad experience with a Huawei sports watch which would only work with an Android phone. I would rather not depend on a phone for setting up and downloading routes etc.

What I had in mind was something that gives you the functions of a basic bike computer plus a simple clear sat nav (no touch screen etc) preferably with a user replaceable battery with a good life. Maybe the wrong thread, asking for the moon on a stick, but there are most likely posters with the relevant knowledge watching this topic.
The app works fine for me on my smartphone, but I'm not a particularly advanced user, I only use it to save rides and look at some basic statistics.

The website is quite complete, you can choose lots of different charts and statistics if you find that sort of thing useful, and seemed to work well the few times I used it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Yes, it's fine with just a PC.

Where the phone comes in to play is if you want to automatically upload rides to Garmin Connect when you've finished. That goes via the smartphone. There are lots of other features like call alerts, live tracking and so on that you get with the smartphone app but the basic functionality doesn't require it. But not using a phone does mean you have to plug your GPS into your PC with a cable at the end of the ride to upload it. This is hardly a great burden.

Sounds like you are looking for something like a Garmin Etrex which has the features you want (Simple, user replaceable batteries). That's primarily a walking/general outdoor GPS not a cycling specific one. Check first that the model you are getting does turn-by-turn routing.

There are a number of CC'ers who are Etrex users who can probably answer more questions ... @Blue Hills I think,

Last edited:
Yes, it's fine with just a PC.

Where the phone comes in to play is if you want to automatically upload rides to Garmin Connect when you've finished. That goes via the smartphone. There are lots of other features like call alerts, live tracking and so on that you get with the smartphone app but the basic functionality doesn't require it. But it does mean you have to plug your GPS into your PC at the end of the ride to upload it. This is hardly a great burden.

Sounds like you are looking for something like a Garmin Etrex which has the features you want (Simple, user replaceable batteries). That's primarily a walking/general outdoor GPS not a cycling specific one. Check first that the model you are getting does turn-by-turn routing.

There are a number of CC'ers who are Etrex users who can probably answer more questions ... @Blue Hills I think,
yes I do use an Etrex - I don't use Garmin Connect though - only thing I need Garmin's PC software for is to update the Garmin unit's firmware/software which I do as infrequently as possible - ie hardly ever. God knows why Garmin won't let you do this on a chromebook.

I use the Garmin with a Chromebook* - gpxs just fed to the Garmin Etrex by plugging it into a USB port. All very simple. You could also use this simple USB port transfer with a PC without special software (though then you would have all the other windows horrors).

The Etrex series are wonderfully simple - have their quirks, but very simple and dependable.

So I bought 3 (they are all effectively second-hand) so that I wouldn't have to bother about upgrade mania.

* You can also use an android tab but a chromebook is simpler/less potentially flaky.

Any questions @a.twiddler just fire away.

I have an Etrex 20x and two 20s.

@Vantage is also an etrex user.

Last edited:

kenmiles

Yes, I had minor problems on Sunday. On PC using browser. First it wouldn't sign in (just went to a blank page with "SSO" somewhere in the URL). Tried again and it went to a page with the message "Oops we crashed'.

Then third time lucky it worked ok.
I had the same problem with this SSO in the url, Sunday and Monday.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Sooo from a quick scan of the internet used seems to be the way to go. So many models but the Etrex 20 seems to be a good starting point. Colour screen, micro SD card, AA batteries. I haven't got my head round all the file formats yet but I would hope to get something with OS quality mapping included (if the screen resolution is good enough). What's the difference between the 20 and 20x, 30 and 30x? Worth paying more for a particular model?
I'm quite wary of upgrades having accidentally wiped a Tomtom car satnav years ago when attempting to update it.

Sooo from a quick scan of the internet used seems to be the way to go. So many models but the Etrex 20 seems to be a good starting point. Colour screen, micro SD card, AA batteries. I haven't got my head round all the file formats yet but I would hope to get something with OS quality mapping included (if the screen resolution is good enough). What's the difference between the 20 and 20x, 30 and 30x? Worth paying more for a particular model?
I'm quite wary of upgrades having accidentally wiped a Tomtom car satnav years ago when attempting to update it.
the 20 and 20x have been superceded by a later generation - not sure if it might be mainly to do with storage capacity. In truth not a big issue since you can just transfer to the etrex storage whatever you need for a planned trip as you need it - ie at the lower end you don't have to keep italy on your etrex full-time, though I did for a fair while have italy and the whole of the UK on my etrex at the same time.
the main difference between the Etrex 20 and 20x is I think screen resolution, though many/several folk say that the increased resolution makes the screen less readable.
The 30 series add supposesdly inbuilt altitude readouts - though I don't think you really need this. There is altitude data in many maps you can load onto the etrex for free.
The 30 series will also tell you which way you are travelling/pointing (as in compass) when stood still but I don't really think you need this either - the 20 series will tell you this very soon after you get off your ass/saddle and start moving.
To clarify - two of mine bought second hand - the third is kinda secondhand after I stupidly managed to bust a new Etrex20 and Garmin replaced it with a refurbed good as new unit for a very reasonable price.
In short I think a good condition Etrex 20 or 20x or the newer thing would be fine - or a good price new one.
I wouldn't bother with the 30 series unless the price difference is very minimal - I suspect @Vantage who has a 30 series might agree.

For maps, I use have been using for several years the free (donation welcome)

https://www.openfietsmap.nl/

which for practical cycling use I think are in many ways superior to OS.

An update for those maps, drawn from Open Cycle Map, should be dropping pretty soon I think, though the current UK ones will be just fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom