Garmin Dakota 10 or 20?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not familiar with the Dakota, but based on experience with older Etrex models I'd say yes.

musa

Über Member
Yes the 20 has more functions than the 10 can't remember what i had the ten a while before it decide to never wake up again

Edit the maps may take say 30-40% of the space

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
Cheers, Got the 20 £140 inc. next day delivery. Been playing with it and managed to load a full UK OSM map onto it, looks good so far. Need to work out how to record my rides and make track on the laptop to load onto the unit.

Peteaud

Veteran
Cheers, Got the 20 £140 inc. next day delivery. Been playing with it and managed to load a full UK OSM map onto it, looks good so far. Need to work out how to record my rides and make track on the laptop to load onto the unit.

Does this have a mount or is it a pure handheld.?

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...

Possibly the wisest choice I have read about all day, you can also pair that little beast up to cadence and heart rate monitors, think you can even get a temp sensor.

I have one and fecking love it, my only tip is to shorten the lanyard you get in the box so that you can lash it to the stem / bars as the garmin mounts can be unreliable if it gets bumpy. Mine has only come off once in a couple of months, but 'twas at thirty going down a main road, so was glad it was tied on and not under a passing car.

Also that silicon case garmin make for it is a worthwhile investment, especially if you are a ham fisted twelk, like myself, that loves to drop anything new.

Peteaud

Veteran
looking at them at the moment.

I like walking as well as the bike so might be the best all rounder.

Can it do routes via a tcx file from bikehike etc?

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
looking at them at the moment.

I like walking as well as the bike so might be the best all rounder.

Can it do routes via a tcx file from bikehike etc?

I imagine so, but don't quote me on that.

I got it to run the gpx files for audax's, so I think it should run tcx.

tubbycyclist

I imagine so, but don't quote me on that.

I got it to run the gpx files for audax's, so I think it should run tcx.

I have got the Dakota 20 - does not do tcx files, although conversion to gpx is trivial on most sites. Tends to mean that routing is by following tracks, rather than the combined route/track that tcx supports but IMO this is no big deal.

tubbycyclist

It has turn by turn routing IIRC

It does have turn by turn routing - but my preference is to stay away from routing altogether, Garmin's algorithms are almost guaranteed to play havoc with any plans you have devised. My experience of audax is to set it follow a track (usually a solid purple line) and you'll get there the way you intended, set it to follow a route and it will turn into a magical mystery tour using A roads or send you down muddy cycle paths.

OP
OP
goody

goody

Veteran
I think I still need a bit of help getting to grips with the thing. So far I can turn it on, go out and ride, save it and upload it to strava or biketoaster. I can create a track on bike toaster and put it on the unit. I've loaded a UK map onto the unit (internal memory).
What I need help with is what to do with the memory card and additional maps I've got (OSM) I have one of an area of Italy I'm going to next week and want one for Northern France. The maps I have seem have the same file name (GMAPSUPP.IMG). What I noticed when I put the UK map on was if I put it in the custom map folder the unit didn't display it when I turned it on so I moved it into the Garmin folder (one that contains the sub folders) it then displayed that map when turned on. It's an 8gb card I have I was hoping that I could store all the maps I need on the one card. So what I need is a step by step idiots guide to storing the maps! I hope that makes sense!

Top Bottom